Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Infrastructure Senior Planner Urgently Required!

52 replies [Last post]
Jamie Trick
User offline. Last seen 15 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear All,

I am working with an exclusive client in Abu Dhabi, a Contractor who carry our Infrastructure projects. Waste water, pump stations, sewerage, etc.

They need a Senior Planner or an experienced Planning Engineer to work on their current projects and over time, grow their Planning department and become the head of department.

Salary max is 20,000 AED p/m inclusive of allowances.

Please send your CV to jamie@dnarecruit.com

Thanks

Jamie Trick
Duke & Attwood LTD

Replies

Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Happy planner,

I do not accept the challenge of being part of the TOP 5 in this forum.

Issuing 50 posts/month is more a matter of quantity and not quality. No further comments regarding the quality of your posts. I can imagine that your skin must be thicker enough to cope with any comment I might have .

Cheers,
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Carmen,

Try to be a member of the top five in forum, make it 50 post per month.

Then, you will know how thick is your skin.

Cheers,
Happy Planning and Scheduling
Carmen Arape
To All,

Gordon’s post #48 draw my attention at saying the tone or attitude at reading different posts.

Accepting that we all have different tone as sender or receiver of the posts, I do agree with Gordon regarding post #5. The post was positive, constructive but with a message that the receiver did not want to hear.

The sender of post #5 is at loss to see what the problem is. For me the problem is that sender does not want to hear that he or his client is not offering enough pay for the Job.

The last words of Post #5sender “vast majority of planners have had to do, grow a thicker skin” is the best advice to planners.

With a lot of years of experience in male domain business, my skin is not thick enough. But I keep training in making my skin thicker.

Cheers,

Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Jamie,

I am at a loss to see what your problem is. While I am not involved with that particular business sector, I do know planners, I do know planning, and I do know what the remuneration for a planning post should be. Now if you can’t or won’t accept that, sorry, but that’s your problem.

I’m sure that, as you say, you do have a very good reputation, however, if you wish to keep it, I would advise you to cut out the snide remarks, it doesn’t impress anybody.

In the posts I have made in response to to your initial post, all I have tried to do is point out things that should have been pretty obvious, not necessarily to you, but certainly to your client. Yet you seemed to have decided that these are personal attacks, they are not.

If you have a problem with people responding to posts you make, in ways you don’t expect or don’t like, all I can suggest is that you do what the vast majority of planners have had to do, grow a thicker skin.

Chris Oggham
Jamie Trick
Gordon,

Thanks for your input. I want to make it clear that I was not being too defensive, I just didn’t appreciate comments made on the forum by a certain PP member who had nothing to do with even the business sector.

I have a very good reputation and I dont want it to be lowered due to forum posts that, if it were not for some people, could have been avoided. The matter is closed as far as I’m concerned and I only wish I could get rid of the post I created because it’s really starting to annoy me now.

Thanks for your input guys.

Jamie
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
You were also right with #5.

It’s funny how different people read the tone of different posts.

While I thought you were perhaps a little dismissive in your first post, I thought post #5 came across as pretty reasonable and constructive. Jamie, to be honest, I thought you were perhaps a little defensive, and it’s never a good idea to become agressive and / or abusive on a forum frequented by people you rely on for you commission, but that was just my interpretation, to be honest I don’t get time to be on here often enough to develop preconceived ideas on other members (well except for Charlie, but he makes it so easy ;) ).

As for me, I’m just generally ace, and therefore can pontificate with impunity.
Glenn Douglas
User offline. Last seen 1 year 40 weeks ago. Offline
Chris,

Overall conclusion.
You was right with post #2
Tony Hughes
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 day ago. Offline
Chris,

i have nothing more to say on the thread,

my lasts number of posts were to wind up the gullible poster(s) and it looks like i succeeded!!!!
Chris Oggham
Tony,

In all the posts you have made to this thread you have singularly failed to provide anything remotely useful. In my book that makes you a fairly pointless individual.

Charlie,

You really do need to grow up. It wouldn’t hurt if you followed PP Guidelines regarding posts either.

Chris Oggham
Charleston-Joseph...
Hello Chris,

HAPPY NEW YEAR

DID YOU MAKE YOUR NEW YEAR RESOLUTION ALREADY????

CAN YOU SHARE IT WITH PP

CHEERS,
Tony Hughes
His toys are probably lying beside yours (Chris)
Chris Oggham
Charlie,

Why are you shouting? No-one else is. Could it be that because Charlie isn’t the centre of attention he’s decided to have a tantrum, shout and throw all his toys out of the pram?

Grow up Charlie.

Chris Oggham
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Grrrrrh it’s cold here in canada. But somehow the discussion is helping to thaw the snow.

I have to agree with raviraj. Rent in the middleast is unexplainably high to the roof. With that amount, don’t even think of taking your family with you. Worst, you have to share accomodation with people you just met in order for you to save money.
Charleston-Joseph...
IN CONCLUSION....

I DID OUTGROW THIS KIND OF DISCUSSION

and

INDEED,

SOMEONE REALLY WANTED TO REMAIN A CHILD!!!! HOW ABOUT NEW YEAR 2009 RESOLUTION???????

This is only a diversionary tactics to COOL DOWN THE SITUATION. COOL DOWN AND SLEEP SOUNDLY

Jamie,

Please understand you are involve in destructive exchange of ideas with someone who really wanted to remain a child forever. He just can not resist being a devil advocate.

Hi Carmen,

I love your post concerning me.

Regards,
Chris Oggham
Jamie,

Whatever you want to do is, of course, entirely up to you, but don’t try to dictate to me which topics I can post on and which I can’t. I repeat, if you are at all unhappy with what has been posted here I suggest you get in contact with PP Admin who will be more than happy to look at the posts and the responses made to them by you and others.

Chris Oggham
Jamie Trick
Chris,

"I should think that by now you have sufficient information to guage interest in this post. "

Please do not leave posts like this when it is not even related to your sector! You have no idea who has been in touch via email as per my original posting and to be honest, due to your initial posts, I feel that this has gotten out of hand and hindered other people coming forward.

Please, in future, keep your opinions on my postings to yourself, and I will do the same with yours.

Thanks

Jamie
Chris Oggham
Jamie,

Nowhere did I tell you to stop posting on this subject or any other, the only person who has suggested that anyone should stop posting is you. You say you know how to do your job, I believe you; you also said that you started this thread to gauge interest in the post, well you’ve had feedback from a number of people expressing their opinions and concerns.

How you use that information is down to you, as you pointed out it’s your job. Now if you are at all unhappy with what has been posted here I suggest you get in contact with PP Admin who will be more than happy to look at the posts and the responses made to them by you and others.

Chris Oggham
Stuart Atkinson
User offline. Last seen 1 year 11 weeks ago. Offline
For some guys commenting on this subject, I suspect they are not particularly busy at present. I am sure that most adults really do not need to witness such childish comments from people that by now, should know better.
Tony Hughes
Well said Jamie!!!

James Shimmon
User offline. Last seen 13 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
finally someone has told him to shut up!!!
Jamie Trick
CHRIS,

With all due respect who the hell are you to tell me to stop posting about this job? I know how to do my job, so do me a favour, you do your job and let me do mine!

If you can’t post anything positive, just dont post at all.

Jamie
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Jamie,

Now, its a question between u and employer to whom to hire considering teh salary part. But as a friendly advise, ur client is definitely asking for sh!t hitting the fan.

No offence intended

Chris Oggham
Jamie,

I should think that by now you have sufficient information to guage interest in this post. A number of people have told you that the salary is insufficient, but if you are dealing with people who are happy with the salary offered, that’s the end of the difficulty, you can offer the post to one of them.

Tony,

Grow up.

Chris Oggham
Jamie Trick
Many people I deal with are happy with that salary, because they seem to have two incomes, either that or most people who are single will rent 1 room in a shared flat.

There are many ways of reducing the amount you spend on rent.

Thanks for your post.

Jamie
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
jamie,

if u still stick with AED20,000/-, then its too less..

Do u know, whats the rent for 2 BHK Flat in Abu Dhabi if u r staying with ur wife and kids??

A minimum of AED12000 to AED15000 per month.

:-(
Tony Hughes
Do you think so?

I suggest you re read your own posts and go drink a cup of coffee with the software development department

Chris Oggham
Tony,

Whats that got to do with a recruitment post?????

About the same as

"It must be your time of the month"

Chris Oggham
Jamie Trick
OK,

The client, a small contractor in Abu Dhabi, deal with Infrastructure. They specialize in Pipelines, sewerage, waste water and pump stations.

They need a Planning Engineer/Senior Planner to start a Planning Department within their company to eventually grow after 12 months by taking on new staff. You will start on up to 20,000 AED p/m plus accommodation & car allowances.

You must have at least 3-4 years exp in the water/sewerage/infrastructure field and you must be ambitious and hard working.

My initial post was to guage interest, not to cause WW3 on this forum.

I hope the above helps and if anyone is actually interested, please email me.

jamie@dnarecruit.com

Thanks and happy new year.

Jamie
Stuart Atkinson
User offline. Last seen 1 year 11 weeks ago. Offline
Jamie,

At the risk of being controversial; can you not just post ALL information you currnetly possess about the position?

Lets just help each other out on what COULD be a difficult year.

Stuart
Tony Hughes
"OK you find it harsh, but in that case I can’t help wondering how you’d cope when the sh1t hits the fan because a supplier failed to deliver and an essential project on extremely tight timescales is jeopardised."

Whats that got to do with a recruitment post?????

Dave Morrow
User offline. Last seen 11 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Jamie
I DO work in Construction & Engineering and the information you have provided is very sketchy for me to base a career move. Perhaps your client/yourself could provide better information for me to think about rather than engaging in a war of words with my esteemed colleagues!

Here’s to a better New Year for the ’Chosen ones’

Dave
Jamie Trick
Dear All,

Thanks for your input, however this seems to really be getting out of hand.

Chris, whilst you are obviously a very vocal person here on pp, I still hold the opinion that you work in IT, not Construction & Engineering, so why you felt the need to critisize my clients needs and expectations I have no idea, maybe things are a little slow in your office right now?

Anyway, thank you for all the comments.

Jamie
Chris Oggham
Tony,

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, just as I am entitled to mine without you making silly, crude remarks.

I think that your assessment of my post #5 is incorrect, it merely states clearly and concisely the information that Jamie’s client needs to supply to get people interested in this post.

It also states that with what is being expected of the person taking the job that the money offered is insufficient, a statement with which a number of people have agreed. Now if you find that harsh, OK you find it harsh, but in that case I can’t help wondering how you’d cope when the sh1t hits the fan because a supplier failed to deliver and an essential project on extremely tight timescales is jeopardised.

Chris Oggham
Tony Hughes
Chris,

i have re read your post 5 and in my opinion your reply to Jamie was harsh!!!

Maybe you dont like recruiters or you were just having a bad day
Carmen Arape
Charlie,

With this post, I would like to understand that you did turn over the page.

Chris,

I believe that Sensei and now happy planner deserves an opportunity to show that his antipathy was part of the past ????? I was wandering about the origin of the antipathy.

Let’ s start with positive thinking and wishes for everybody.

Cheers,

Charleston-Joseph...
Chris,

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2009.

Cheers,
Chris Oggham
Charlie,

I wondered how long it would take for you to make your presence felt. Not a lot has changed, I notice, despite your gushing assurances that you were turning over a new leaf. Still the same snide comments and bigoted resentment against all things English.

Tony,

Do you often make crude remarks about people or is it something you decided to try with me because of Charlie’s attitude? Perhaps you ought to re-read post #5.

Jamie,

Of course you don’t dictate your client’s budget, but perhaps if you gave them feedback on the reception that the job offer had received, they might decide for themselves that some adjustments were in order.

Chris Oggham
Jamie Trick
A. F.

Just to confirm, I don’t dictate what my clients budget is, neither do most recruitmewnt companies out there, so please don’t target recruiters with good company names.

Thanks

Jamie
Charleston-Joseph...
A. F.

I fyou believe that the agencies or agent are squeezing you and make lots of money, then, I believe London or UK is a believer of democracy, you can make your choice you are free to make a choice, be an agent, set up your own agencies or stay a planner and continue whinning that agents/agencies are aqueezing monies.

Remember it is not what others say but our freedom to decide our fate that makes a lot of difference.

Maybe you just drink too many during the holiday season.

Merry Christmas indeed. Looking for another round of drinks to celebrate the NEW YEAR.

HAPPY/PROPEROUS NEW YEAR

Cheers,
A. F.
User offline. Last seen 8 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Apologies for the spelling. One too many Christmas drinks!

Happy new year....
A. F.
User offline. Last seen 8 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Charleston,

chris is making a valid point regarding emplyers and agencies who take the p*** with pay. Planners here need to stand up and not accept poor pay. As a profession we need to collectively only accept highstandards in our work and corrispondingly high rewards in terms of salary/fee.

Chris keep uo the good posts and the attitude.

Cheers,

A.F.
Nestor Principe
User offline. Last seen 12 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Maybe, the company is taking advantage of the situation. Terminate old contracts and replaced by new one with more affordable terms.

Cheers
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Jamie

I’m just interested to know why recruitment seems to be doing fine considering the fact that most big companies in the UAE are freezing their projects due to the worldwide financial crisis... I even heard from a colleague that thousands (if not hundreds) of professionals have their contracts been cancelled by their respective employers... I’d appreciate your thoughts..

Tony Hughes
Your posts seem a bit harsh Chris / Chirs

It must be your time of the month
Charleston-Joseph...
Jamie,

Merry Christmas to you.

You have just encountered one of the brightest mind in PP, according to him, but accodrding to others, it may not be the case.

Looking forward to a happy new year.

Cheers,
Jamie Trick
Thank you for your input Chris. I apologize if what I said came across harsh, it was not my intention.

I try to stay open minded and thankful of all comments, but when I have an urgetn role to fill, sometimes typing happens without thought.

Merry Christmas to you.

Jamie
Chris Oggham
Jamie,

First, my name is Chris not Chirs.
Second, you are correct, the post is not of interest to me, I don’t take a pay cut of 70% for anybody.
Third, on Planning Planet we try to give helpful advice whether the post is of interest to us or not.
Fourth, if you can’t or won’t take advice when it is offered freely that of course is up to you, but one piece of advice to you personally - don’t get snotty with people it really won’t do you any favours.

Chris Oggham
Jamie Trick
With all due respect Chirs, the position is already being advertised, I was just trying to guage interest on the forum and don’t you work in IT? So why this post is of any interest to you I cannot imagine.

Thanks for your help.
Chris Oggham
Jamie,

What you actually mentioned is that they are "an exclusive client in Abu Dhabi" nothing about smaller. Your client wants someone with 5+ years experience, suitable background the remuneration is inclusive of all allowances. Believe it or not Jamie we do get the picture.

Now we’re not trying to give you or your client a hard time, but you haven’t given any details of leave entitlement, benefits, bounuses or conditioned hours; nor do you mention whether the terms are permanent or contract. You need to give a bit more information if you want to get people interested.

Having said that, even on permanent terms, the money being offered for what is being expected is not enough. Your client really does need to make some adjustments, either in what they are paying or what they expect from the person who takes the job.

I’m not saying this to wind you up, presumably since you say the requirement is urgent, your client wants this post filled sooner rather than later. If this is the case then your client is going to have to start offering more information about the post and an attractive rate to get it filled.

Chris Oggham
Jamie Trick
As mentioned, they are a smaller contractor, so someone with 5 years exp in Planning with the desired background would be suitable.

While I appreciate your feedback/ "help"? are you actually interested in the position?
Mark Chapman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
LOL - just what I had thought! Is this tax free? Is accomodation extra!
Chris Oggham
Jamie,

While my maths might be a bit out, according to my calculations, the pay for that position is less than £45k per year. Considering what is wanted and where it is, I don’t think your clients are offering enough.

Chris Oggham