Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Is there any life out there?

4 replies [Last post]
Joel Gilbert
User offline. Last seen 4 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Having applied for various positions with hardly any response a fiew questions come to mind, perhaps somebody out there can throw some light on the subject.I am sure I speak for most Planners applying from South Africa and possibly other countries.

1) When applying for a Position no response or acknowledgment ever gets returned.(is there anybody out there?)

2) A Feedback would be appreciated, should we structure our CV differently ?, or perhaps wrong Passport, or not enough experience in a certain department, etc,etc. Surely
that would be the norm of a well organized and trained recruitment agency to responce.

3) When placing a job advert the agent should notify the applicants if we can apply from overseas or is it a local job.

anyway,this should get the ball rolling. Any other comments or advice will be welcomed.

Regards,

Joel,
South Africa

Replies

Joel Gilbert
Thanks for the reply Mark.I see there is life out there. For interest I will send my CV to you for review, as it is geared up for S.A.If you would send me your "E" Mail address.My address is Joel.Gilbert@fluor.com. your constuctive comments will be appreciated as it is always worth it having a second opinion.
Mark Lomas
User offline. Last seen 15 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
OK Joel, seeing as you asked for more replies ...

You should make it easy for the potential employer to say YES. Explain why you are better than the local candidates (of course you are) and explain how you are going to acquire the local knowledge the potential employer thinks he wants. Demonstrate that you understand the process he will have to go through to employ you and provide the justification (to him) that he will need to provide to immigration. Make it easy for him ! Stick all this in your application.

Is your CV available for comment ? If so, I dont mind giving you my opinion.
Joel Gilbert
Thanks for the reply Peter,I see we have many forum readers,and few replies. Hopefully it will pick up or perhaps they shy.
Peter Ayre
User offline. Last seen 3 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
From experience I know theres not too many companies willing to organise work permits etc. unless youre already with the company and proven yourself as an asset. Its just too hard, especially in developed countries (or so called developed countries).

Ive noticed more adds now specifying local applicants only, so your posting may have had some effect.

My addvice if you want to travel is to apply for positions in the less popular places. Ive had a great time doing this and it opens doors once youve made the contacts. CVs are necessary, but just knowing someone who can say "Oh yeah, that guy (or girl) is alright" makes a huge difference.