Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Progress and S-Curve for Engineering, Procurement and Construction projects

5 replies [Last post]
Raul Santos
User offline. Last seen 5 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I would like to ask the experienced guys in EPC companies or projects (EPC = Engineering, Procurement, Construction):

- What approach do you follow to track progress and develop S-Curves for EPC projects?

- How do you do this for each of the phases? (for Engineering, Procurement, Construction)

- How do you combine all the phases into a single one to obtain the Overall Progress for the project?

Replies

sunil k
User offline. Last seen 10 years 49 weeks ago. Offline

Sir,

Please send me the copy at sunilkmrpl@rediffmail.com

Regards

Sunil.k

RAO RAO
User offline. Last seen 12 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Hi pieter please send me a copy please at veta_13@yahoo.com

Pieter Bezuidenhout
User offline. Last seen 12 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Hope my example help you to give you an idea.

Jose Frade
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Bom dia Raul,

I would make a diferrence regarding relative weight between the phases and how to track physical progress (It would also help to know what kind of project you have on hands).

Normally in a project you sold to your client the project divided in diferent chapters :

1 - Engineering (and price) - normaly client also knows the global price

2 - Procurement (and price)

3 - Construction (and price)

So in order not to disturb this relations the overall % progress would be calculated having in consideration the relative weights of the budget sold to client (this method avoids  a lot of questions in the future)

Now the phisical progress and relative weight of individual activities

- Engineering

If a detaield documetn list to be produced exists, then use it and atribute a relative weight to each doc (in MH and according your own budget - meaning total 100% of engineering would sum up the total MH you have to spend in engineering).

- Procurement

In the type of projects I am involved normaly I give a relative weight to each activity based on my budget value (not MH) for that particular item (total procuremtn phase shall sum my total value budget for the procurement)

Physical progress can be taken from progress reports of manufacturers, expediting teams, etc for each item.

Construction

Here it would be good to use again MH. You have to calculate (or distribute your MH budget) the required MH for each activity.

Phisycal progress has to be calculated according each discipline (excavation in M3, piping in tones, electrical cables in Klms, etc, etc)

Progress curves

Can be drawn directly from above explained methods

Hope it contributes to solve part (rsrsrsr) of your questions.

BR

JMFrade

Pieter Bezuidenhout
User offline. Last seen 12 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Well we simply used Excel to form 3 S-curves 1 for Fabrication 1 for Construction and then we created 1 using both Fabrication and Construction to form a overall.

You will first need to create a planned sheet for each like dates with percentages planned and actual so you got a bar.

Example

12/10/201019/10/201026/10/201002/11/201009/11/2010

Planned % 3.4%6.9%10.3%13.8%

Actual %  1.0%2.0%

3.0%

then from this you should be able to perform a s-curve if you need a softcopy drp me a mail and i will send you mine for an example.