Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to generate S-curve for physical progress where work consist of different units

4 replies [Last post]
Anil Mahapatra
User offline. Last seen 9 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear Sir/Mam

Am working in a sewerage project, I want to generate a S-curve for physical Progress

Problem I am facing for S-curve:

We have different unit of work, like Sewer line, pipe laying and house sewer connection in meter, manhole chambers, and inspection chambers and pump stations in numbers. And WBS of my construction schedule is based on the areas (divide based on different areas of the city)

By using MS project or Oracle Primavera is it possible to generate a physical progress curve which represents the entire project. If yes kindly help.

I heard that bucket planning can solve it. But I don’t have any idea what is that and how it work. If you can light me on that

Kindly advice also if is there a better way to structure my construction schedule.

Kindly help.

Thank you

Anil mahapatra

Replies

Jerome Odeh
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi Anil,

I understand your problem.

Use weighted value of each work package as suggested by Daniel. You can get the weighted values from the client.

You should get something like this, so that the weightings total to 100%. 

S#Work PackageWeighted Value (%)
1Sewer Line20%
2Lay Pipe45%
3Sewer Connection5%
4Manhole Chambers10%
5Chamber Inspections10%
6Pump Stations10%
 Total100%

With this, you should be able to set-up s-curve for physical progress measurement. I'm assuming you have your physical progress rules of credit (progress metrics) already defined.

=jerome

Anil Mahapatra
User offline. Last seen 9 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mr. jerome

Thank you for your valuable input.

However there is probelm in cost. The proejct is done by different contractors and we are a PMC by the client.

So thay don't give any information about cost in schedule. only the monthly billing schedule.

So Is there any other way we can do may be using actual work.

thank you

Anil

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Jerome,

In addition to cost, You can use Manhours or Mandays or weighted value for each element of work.

Regards,

Daniel

Jerome Odeh
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi Anil,

You should be able to generate s-curve for the entire project but you'll need a common unit of measurement for the different work scopes.

Have you considered using cost as your common denominator? Your different work scopes will have cost estimates that you can use.

=jerome