Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Pipe joint duration

23 replies [Last post]
Asadullah Magsi
User offline. Last seen 13 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Xperts
what time required to weld one (40" dia pipe)joint considering all passes.
Any thumbrule or formula???
Help me out

Replies

mary pablate
User offline. Last seen 6 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Since, it is 40-inch diameter pipe, so it will take approx. 2 hours, if you are an experienced TIG welder.

reynaldo parayno
User offline. Last seen 12 years 1 week ago. Offline

PP Admin,

Thanks for the posts above,i.e., #1 to 21. I have gained knowledge about pipe - laying job and had given me great confidence facing a new scheduling work. It is reallly with great thanks considering the difference it made if this is not available. Have downloaded it in Word so I can read some other time and for reference.

Reynaldo

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 23 hours 29 min ago. Offline
Estimator’s Piping Man-Hour Manual also available at:
http://www.gulfpub.com/default.asp?page=14&productID=2708&VS=

Might be of interest:
Cost Estimating Manual for Pipelines and Marine Structures
http://www.gulfpub.com/default.asp?Page=14&productid=2707&searchtype=2&l...

A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
You may please refer to this great book:

Estimator’s Piping Man-Hour Manual, (Estimator’s Man-Hour Library) - By John S. Page

This is the Bible for piping works.

Must have... Available on amazon

:-)

SAIFUL ADLI MOHAMAD
User offline. Last seen 13 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Safak,

refering to your post below, could u please send a copy to me? surely it will help me a lot. if not, could u give the link so that i can buy it from net?

regards,
Saiful
saiful@knpe.com.my
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Asadullah,

Rigging Plan
You will need to start thinking about Maximum load per piece, dimensions, Cranes available, load charts, safety plan, lifting devices.

I would suggest that you search the net and at the same time ask the experienced team members that you have.

Best Regards,

Samer
Asadullah Magsi
yes
it is good one i also read out few pages of thad online
I found some thumb rules ther.
thanks
Do u know about rigging plan?
what r needs to make it.
means
Qustions to ask urself for rigging plan
Safak Vural
User offline. Last seen 3 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Asadullah,

PIPELINE Rule of Thumbs is a very good book to look. I have not got a electronical copy, but you can buy it from net.

Best regards,

Safak
Safak Vural
Dear Asadullah,

You should only open one thread.Dia inchs or meters will depend on the CLIENT. My choice will be dia inches, but if CLIENT has a rates depending on pipe length they will want it. For pipelines m will be used for sure. But dia-inch is a important factor. Do not forget you can load both to as a resource.

If you are looking for basic pronciples. I can tell you a few things. 1st of all, the piping works critical activity is welding. Dia inch will give you m of weld you will need to complete for the work. After deciding how much welder hours for a m of weld requires (changes due to SCH, Material Type, position...), you can decide how many welders you will have (CM, PM or piping eng decides) and you will find your minimum duration.

After that you can ask for the crews, how many helpers, S/Bs, cranes, riggers etc. for the work. After you complete your crew the total manhour will be the personnel*workinh hours in a day*duration.

Other effect will be the inspection (especially radiography) How many joints you can inspect in a day. What is the percentage of joint inspections needed (Quality Plan)? ...... Basicly radiography will be based on "Source" not crew.

You can ask for the painting, hydrotest, painting touchups, insulations, commissioning...... (earthing vs.) to your piping engineers.

Please feel free to ask & talk with your site engineers and CM. They will do the work and you need to reflect what is going to be done to the plan.

Regards,

Safak
Asadullah Magsi
Can u tell me basic about piping plan
what we consider during plan.
upto what level piping should be plan.at what quantum??
on dia inches?? or per meter??
Plz tel me basic about plan
Safak Vural
Sorry, I cannot arrange the looks as in the WORD.

About quality plan, your project should have one as a procedure or in CONTRACT or TENDER Documents. And it will be project oriented. Other projects QPs will not help you. My suggestion is go to your welding engineer and ask them.

It is normal to learn how the works are going.For all disciplines my suggestion is go and ask your engineers or construction manager. If you cannot create a detailed production plan as this just ask them with how many personnel and in how much duration they gonna finish.

I can assure you using manhour schedules is a quick and easy way to resource load your programs but then you will suffer from it.

Best Regards,

Safak

Asadullah Magsi
Can any body send me qulity plan????
Do any body have over all construction resources directory??
Asadullah Magsi
awsome
it helps me alot
i ll be looking forward for ur co operation.
i need more n more stuff for planning/scheduling
if u help me out
asadullah.magsi@tuwairqi.com.pk
Asadullah Magsi
What is quality & testing plan.
Can u describe it or send me sample plan
this is new to me
Safak Vural
Dear Asadullah,

This example will help you to understand the way to create a production planning for activity types I think.

I assume it is a pipeline or at least a long run on a plant.

You can assume one joint can cost you 15 MHr only for joint. The important think is that you need to do double or triple joints and weld them after completing parts. Or you can go steadily by line.

If you are going to go by the line, You can have 3 teams of 2 welders (can be 4 but there are technical and HSE impact). Lets say you have 9 passes.

First 2 Passes      Base
3rd Passes      Medium 1
4th -6th Passes          Medium 2
7th 9th Passes          Cap
(This can change due to welding type)

Let’s have 3 teams

1st team continuously welding Base & Medium 1
2nd team continuously welding Medium 2
3rd team continuously welding Cap

So Daily Production will be

Day 1               Day 2            Day 3
Base & Medium 1  3 joints      3 joints 3 joints
Medium 2             2 joints 3 joints 3 joints Cap                      1 joints 3 joints 3 joints
Joints For Insp.     1               3               3           …….

For Inspection You can have 3 Shots Per night with 4 person team (Radiography).

Duration For Welding= ((No. of Joints -1)/3)+1                         (A)
Duration For Inspection= (A) + 1                                    (B)

MHr for Welding = (A) * 3(Crew)*(2(Welder)+2(Helper))*8(Hours)           (C)
MHr for Inspection=(B)*4(Crew Size)*12(Hours)                          (D)

Total Manhours = ( (C) + (D) ) * (1.1) (10 % Contingency for Repairs)           (E)
Manhours per Joint = (E) / (No. of Joints)

* You can add 10% contingency as a duration but CLIENT will refuse it, because they want you to mitigate the repairs as extra crews (overtime will not be available due to inspection constraints) not in extra durations.

You should talk to your welding engineer or welding foreman for details. Then you can create a production analyses for the details. If welder tests of other stuff are reported as direct manhours and reimbursed you can add to cumulative manhours to include that kind of calculations with in. I have a Schedule for pipe fabrication &erection but my actual field reports are so much different from them.

So this kind of studies could seem to be time consuming but it is essential in plan. And this is the healtiest way to find manpower-manhours and time consumption of the activity types.

Best regards,

Safak

Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Asadullah,

The length of the weld = 2x 22/7 x 20" = 125" = 3.2m
Thickness = about 1" = 25mm

Manual welding would be very long. With 4mm rod you are talking about 8-10 passes to fill the thickness. And that is 30m of weld per pipe. Since this is a pipe, you will need a 6g (all positions) welder. Maybe he can finish it in 15 hours. The problem here is the quality and the testing. Do you have an inspection and test plan.

This is a large pipe and I would recommend that you ask for automatic welding machine. Or at least a MIG welding manual 1.6mm thickness or larger wire spool. The rate of deposit is much higher.

If you are welding a pipeline, then you need to get 3-4 automatic machines. They can run for 25000$/each. Using a mobile crane and a small crew, you can be very productive.

Best Regards,

Samer
Asadullah Magsi
its Arc weldind and it is fully manual
Asadullah Magsi
Dear
I need ur help in resource allocation in P3.
i donot know even ABC about resource allocation in p3
Plz send me some stuff n guidence
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Asadullah,

The processes can be:

TIG/ MIG/ ARC, etc

Applied:
Manual, Semi Automatic, Automatic.

With kind regards,

Samer
Asadullah Magsi
Schedule 40 pipe
Sorry i m confused abt process??
Welding procerss??
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Friend,

You need to tell us the thickness of the pipe and the process that you will be using.

With kind regards,

Samer
Asadullah Magsi
So nice of u.
i ll check it
Can s send me some piping schedules samples?
Lets say its arc welding of 40" dia fitup,bevel ,tack is ready,jiont is ready to weld,can u estimate??
any formoula ,any thumb rule??
Dear i m mechanical engineer & very new in this feiled i ll be looking for ur kind co operation.
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Asadullah,

It depends on the type of material and the pipe thickness and the method of welding (Tig, Mig, electord) and the process (manual/ automatic/ semi-automatic).

I would suggest that you check with the contractor to determine the method, and confirm the best timing with the major welding machines suppliers like; Miller, Lincoln, Esab and others.

Best Regards,

Samer