Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

High Rise Building Curing

10 replies [Last post]
kier legard
User offline. Last seen 14 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi to all

What type/kind of curing is used in high rise building.In a 3 day cycle how is curing done especially in slab when you have a very tight schedule.

Regards,

Kier

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

I think you want high early 6,000 PSI strength concrete and then get a 3 day break a 7 day break a 14 day break and a 21 day break to test the strength. 

Jerry Fischers
User offline. Last seen 4 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

I know it's an old thread, but thanks Armando!

armando moriles
User offline. Last seen 13 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Kier,

Try Sika early strength admix curing compound...You may check your trial mix first and see if it will pass already after 3 days. Check also if you could already test your moulds after 3 days (if allowed) relative on the admix solution.

Anoon has a point...verify your desired cycle period...

Regards,

Arman
Neeraj Agarkar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
You are right. Curing compound. membrane = impermeable membrane around concrete surface which traps moisture and aids in curing.
Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
I believe what you mean is "curing compound" and not "curing membrane".

Initially, you can use water as normally applied to cure concrete, however, when the building is already above the transfer structure and you are about to start other trade works, it is a common practice not to use water anymore as it disrupts and damage the work of other packages especially if you have drywall. So the solution is to use a "curing compound" for curing concrete.

Cheers,
Daniel
Neeraj Agarkar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
Curing membrane is easier than ponding more so because of ease of application in places where you cannot reach and to avoid formwork bulking up due to ponding of water. and I beleive it is more economical and faster than water ponding. Especially if you have a 3 day slab cycle.
regards
Neeraj
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Kier

In the UK we do not need to take any special curing measures - we just leave it to set.

This is more of an engineering question than a planning one.

I remeber working on a high rise in Singapore and no special slab curing measures were used.

Best regards

Mike Testro
kier legard
User offline. Last seen 14 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mike,

What Im asking is which method of curing is used like ponding,wet covering and its effect on operations.Does curing have an effect on the operation for example on high rise casting of slab .

Regards,

Kier
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Kier

Curing time on high rise concrete structures are usually in two stages.

1. Remove table forms - leave props
2. Remove props

The time frame will depend on the design and strength of the concrete spec - check with engineering if a 3 day period is OK for removal of forms.

Make sure that the curing periods are set on a 24/7 non stop calendar because concrete sets whether it is night time or weekends.

If the props are set out correctly the logic link from removal of forms will usually allow horizontal high level M&E to start.

Removal of props will usually be the starting point for internal none weather sensitive operations.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
3 day cycle? I believe there is 5 day cycle, but for three days, quite not realistic, how big is the area? and how many sets of formworks you got? and what type it is?

I think you need to retain at least two floors below, that means you need 3 full sets of formworks. For curing, you can take the recommendation of your structural engineer.