Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

SAP and Project specific Purchase Orders

7 replies [Last post]
Nicolas Igersheim
User offline. Last seen 7 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all that endure SAP,

My company has adopted SAP at large,
but the engineering division (that I belong to)
has this problem.

Purchase orders are numbered chronologically
for the entire company
regardless the specific project they are
devoted to.

This of course makes it impossible for PM
to make sure his project’s list of PO is exhaustive,
since he will lack certain chrono numbers anyway
(devoted to others projects, but issued concurrently).

Is any of you guys familiar with this pb
and did you find a workaround?

Thanks in advance for your insight

Replies

Nicolas Igersheim
Of course I did not have the right
but I ascertained that the
procedure existed and was implemented
in our version of SAP.

I will follow the trail with the IT people and let you know.

Cheers
Nicolas Igersheim
Tks,

I will try this ASAP
(I mean on SAP lol)
and if I do not have the necessary rights
which is probable, I’ll
contact the persons who do!!

Cheers
Devamalya De
User offline. Last seen 5 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Nicholas & Tomas,

I believe I have found a complete workaround to your problem. What you need to do is type the transaction code OMH6 (ensure you have the necessary authority to use the code)and press enter [in the SAP main screen after login with your user id]. You will go to the screen: No. of Ranges for Purchasing Documents. There you will find three options: viz., Intervals (DISPLAY only), Status (shows running series; here you can CHANGE the existing unused series and also block certain numbers for a particular project), Intervals (CHANGE in intervals of number series allowed). I hope that solves your problem.

Cheers!
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Nicolas:

Just as a comment, I have been working as a consultant to a national housing company that has been using SAP as their main corporation-wide administration and operations software for 3 or 4 years now.

I do not have direct contact with SAP but I have heard complaints about exactly the same problem you are facing. Project managers complain about the dificulty to relate purchase orders to their projects because the organization is chronological and not easily identified for each project.
I do not know the specifics as to how and why this is happening, nor heard a solution for that.

So, you are not alone.

Tomas Rivera
Nicolas Igersheim
Thanks a lot for your answer, I began to thing I was on the wrong forum or maybe I was imagining difficulties where none existed.

Now a question calls for an other:

Quote:
new number ranges need to be assigned
Unquote

How is that done?

Tks agains
Devamalya De
User offline. Last seen 5 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
The work around in case of my company has been automatic. I really don’t know whether it is at all possible to replicate the soluation in your case. In fact it may be not be. We have a parent company and different types of projects like malls, hotels, multistoried residential apartments, commercial complexes, schools, hospitals etc. are all under different associate / subsidiary / satellite companies (it is supposed to have some tax-saving benefit...now don’t ask me how). Each project having a different profit centre since it is under a different subsidiary company, number ranges for purchase orders assigned to each subsididary company is unique. You may ask what if there are multiple projects under the same subsidiary company. We still have such a scenario and number of projects under a subsidiary company being limited, we haven’t had a problem till date. However, as and when fresh projects come up under the umbrella of the same subsidiary company and number ranges for purchase orders are exhausted, new number ranges need to be assigned. Till date project managers for projects under the same susidiary company haven’t had any problem as regards the purchase order numbers. Now you have a solution, but I don’t know how workable it might be in your case.
Nicolas Igersheim
Am I being heard?

Any Idea about the subject?

Anybody?