Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Owner side - Progress reports

7 replies [Last post]
Mohamed Kamal
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Working on Owner side for the first time, I have been requested to initiate a progress report for the shareholders, to cover the the work performed during the past 6 months, any ideas on what topics could be covered?

Thanks
Mohamed

Replies

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Mohammed,

You can filter project data and come up with critical indicators.

Cheers,

Charlie
ashraf alawady
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Mohammed, can you circulate to all pp the format and the final contents of the report.

Thanks
John Lawson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Let us know how you get on. Could be interesting to find out what your Board are actually looking for in the their reporting to the Shareholders. Regards John
Mohamed Kamal
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
thanks all, wish me luck, I’ll present what I’m preparaing to board of directors on Tuseday. :O(

Mohamed
ashraf alawady
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
The report can contain the following:-
Brief discreption of the project(s).
Project(s)’data sheets.
financial status.
Summary of the major running activities againest the plannd activities .
Selected photos.
Summary of the major problems and your recommendations.
General situation ,requirementsand conclutions.
John Lawson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

For your topics, you are best to speak to the people that actually have direct contact with the share holders.

However you can suggest topics and genearl headings. These will depend on the size and nature of the project you are reporting, it could perhaps include for several sites /locations etc.

Topics could be Conceptual Design, Basic Design, Detail Design, Procurement (Bulks / Major Equipment), Construction, Commissionining, Start-Up, Production, Decommissioning.

Once agreed the headings should remain unchanged, well at least till they must be changed.

Try to keep your statements very bland and keep it very short, "snappy" and to the point.

Try to avoid any charts or graphs, as the share holder will not understand, or at worse miss understand!

Try using good quality photograps, shareholders like pretty pictures, at least they can see what their cash has gone.

Always keep an update file / history along with the names / referances of where your information came from.

The physical look of the report is very importand, avoid to much detail on a page, produce a professional looking report on quality paper, good font, use colors etc. But do not make it look an expensivly produced document, as this can have bad comments from the shareholders - even before they read the report.

Always pass your report to the people that meet the shareholders and let them comment etc. add comments and reissue etc.

Never, never go straight to the shareholders with reports / information, always use the command structure.

regards

John

James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Mohamed,

Being cynical, if the truth is good news, then report the truth. If it’s bad news, don’t report anything of any use to anyone ;-)

Are the shareholders businessmen or are they the general public? This will help determine the data they might wish to see and /or are capable of understanding.

From my viewpoint, all I’d want to see, at first, is an EV curve. I’ll start asking questions on the basis of that. However, most people will want to to be given a summary. This could be:

Major Milestones: Start of Manufacture - Inactive Commissioning - Pumping Fuel etc. Are the programme dates going to be adhered to?

Profitability: Am I gong to get my money back, plus a return on my investment?

James.