Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What is Great with PMP Certification

16 replies [Last post]
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

What is Great with PMP Certification.

Of they got great amount of salary compare to those with their colleagues without PMP certification.

Is this all???

Just curious.

Charlie

Replies

Ferdinand Fincale...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

I've been in the construction industry since the year 1991 engaged in project management and construction management that includes planning in general. After acquiring the PMP knowledge and certification on the year 2009 it was only then I realized that my past achievements should have been better if I already had that PM framework and knowledge through that PMI training.

So, may I say that having the PMP certification is not just about having big bucks or salary but most importantly it is the knowledge and framework in doing project management tasks that generally engulf the planning functions. To have the PMP certification, for me it is another level of understanding that is correspondingly paid for.

I wish everyone in PP community a very Happy and Prosperous New Year of 2012.

Regards,

Ferdinand

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 4 days 10 hours ago. Offline

Certification is useful and do seem to make getting better paid jobs easier, but pick your credential wisely…

We have a paper looking at the options for Project Managers at: http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/PDF_Papers/P138_PM_Credentials_Aus.pdf(it’s written for Australia but applies globally)

If you want to be a planner and scheduler the specific qualifications are likely to be more useful. My paper for the Construction CPM conference later this month covers the current state of play in our sector, see “Should you certify your schedulers?” at http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/Resources_Papers_149.html

Tushar khanna
User offline. Last seen 12 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

yes PMP Certified staff earn more tham their colleagues.

to know more benfits of PMP Certified see this KnowledgeWoods

payal roy choudhury
User offline. Last seen 12 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Hello every one,

Am payal ( Territory manager in Simplilearn solutions). I would like to invite you all for the PMP certification training this Dec month.

Bangalore
Hyderabad
Delhi
Kolkata
Pune
Chennai
Mumbai
Navi Mumbai
Vishakhapatnam
Trivandrum
Gurgaon
Ahmedabad
26th & 27th November, 2011 (Registration Open)
3rd & 4th December, 2011 (Registration Open)
26 – 27 Nov & 24 – 25 Dec, 2011(Registration Open)
7th & 8th January, 2012 (Registration Open)
17th & 18th December, 2011 (Registration Open)

For further Information you can call on 9738440695/ 08060001202 or you can write a mail to payal.choudhury@simplilearn.com. Do participate in this even & get PMP Certified and get 40% hike in your salary

Manjeet Singh
User offline. Last seen 18 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie,

I agree 100% with you there!

Cheers

Manjeet
Author of www.projectminds.com -- free project management guide & other project-related resources.
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi Manjeet,

The bottom line is that PMP certification will give you more bucks, bread to live a life of luxury compared to those that dont have PMP ceritification.

A lot of PMP holders know that they are helpless to live with the ideals of PMP. The most important is to survive in this highly competitive world. And PMP certification give them an added advantage against those that dont have.

Personally, i have nothing against PMP certification. It is the best for the advancement of project management. I hope someday most of us in PP will get one.

Cheers,

Charlie
Manjeet Singh
User offline. Last seen 18 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie, the bottom line with PMP certification is:

1/ It is better to have it than not have it.
2/ About 50,000 PMs have the certification.
3/ More and more companies are asking for it so it can’t hurt to have it :)

Manjeet
Author of www.projectminds.com -- free project management guide & other project-related resources.
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie
Good to see you back
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi,

The basic problem with these international common platform is that there is really no common platform. Whatever the Americans comes up (PMP, Six Sigma, etc) will be different platform from their English cousin (Prince,etc.) or there European colleaugues including American’s Japanese and Korean Allies. WE also have to contend with the Chinese or Indian Project Management Certification someday.

Each economic powers tends to market there Brand of Project Management that brings them economic miracles of improve productivity, efficient use of resources, etc.

What shall we do with these realities? I think it is high time for PP to have one that is really universal in application. In this way, We remains focus on the fundamentals of Project Management in general and Project Planning in Particular.

Regards,

Charlie
Naveed Tariq, PE,...
User offline. Last seen 14 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Simple!

PMI gives you a framweork to manage your projects. We all managed projects good or bad in way which we like. Now due to increased internationalization there was a need of common lexion. Through PMBOK(R) PMI provides a common lexion between Project Management Profession and practice for talking and writing about project management. PMP is a certification to prove your command on this common methodology taught by PMI.

So friends PMP certification or being belivers of PMI is just to stand on a common platform so that you know how to communicate and others knows how to understand.

Cheers!
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Alex
To me it seems like a pretty good idea as I have suspected for some time that an awfull lot of people are only planners cos thats what it says on their door. This is often made clear by the type of questions raised by people whose knowledge base has the full 10 stars. Check it out when u next see a daft posting.
Clive
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Back to the question

PMP Certification?? Why??

I guess some planner gone though the formal training... some don’t, but it does not means that the one without formal training is not a good planner, that why we need some sort of the benchmarking facility to distinguish between to "The good, the bad and the ugly"

PMP is only one of the many way of distinguish/reassure your PM skill. There are many other alternatives. Personality I think PMP need more practical test in order to separate the groups.

Cheers

Alex

ALex
Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 4 days 10 hours ago. Offline
Answers to the questions:-

1) PDUs only count after you have passed your PMP exam, you need 60 every 3 years to maintain the credential.

2) 1 PDU = 1 Hours training in a course, seminar or lecture focussed on an aspect of project management.

3) PDUs are registered on-line with PMI using your PMI membership or PMP number.

4) You need to keep a record of attendance at home to validate the PDUs if you are audited by PMI as part of the PMP renewal process – this does not need to be overly formal; a letter is excellent but a brochure may be adequate backed up by proof of payment or something similar.

If you would like more information PDUs, etc go to www.mosaicprojects.com.au/Training_PDUs.html

Pat
Gwen Blair
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
The person to ask this one is Philip Jonker.

His father in law sits on the board.
Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
I think the PMP certificate is a high credit on the CV...Of course, it is beneficial to have the PMP courses (introduction, preparation of documents and others) for more knowledge and professionalism but it remains an Intn’l factor used to differentiate between one Professional and another...My questions are as follows:
1) if I got previously many training courses in different fields without having certificates for these or even PMI registered units, could I use other documents like Booklet, minutes of meeting, correspondence, etc. to prove that I attended successfully these courses?
2) Is it sufficient to arrange for an official letter from the Sponsored Company that I attended these training courses with their related spent hours?
3) What is the equivalence of PMI units in the hours spent on training course, for example, I followed a training course of 3 days (20 hrs) done by Projacs for Expedition and I got 20 PDU, does this means that 1hr spent is equivalent to 1PDU?

Regards,
J. Daniel
pmkb .
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
I think it has to do with the maturity level of the PM process within different organizations. In the USA (and apparently increasingly in India and around the world), the PMP credential is listed as a requirement for many PM positions.

PMI has recently modified the certification requirements for the PMP to strengthen the credential (ie. make it harder to obtain), so it will likely just become more valuable within the job market under PMI’s sphere of influence.

Stacy
Participate in the Project Management Knowledge Base!