Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Re: cross-project resource management

2 replies [Last post]
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Bill: How about using a scheduling software like P3 (Primavera Project Planner) or P3e (Primavera Project Planner for the Enterprise)? You might consider them expensive for your needs, but those are the ones I use and cannot talk about other software packages. With Primavera you can schedule your projects using diferent calendars, set up resources with diferent calendars and availability limits, allocate resources to activities, allocate priority to projects or activities, define resource leveling options, define leveling criteria and then resource level all your projects at the same time drawing resources from your company pool. Are these the kind of things you need to do? Tomas Rivera

Replies

Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
If you're having problems convincing your management to buy Primavera you can opt for MS Project. Based on the situation you described, using either Primavera or MS Project can solve your difficulty with resource allocation. Don't use any spreadsheet software, it would just eat up you time and it will not be responsive to your needs as far as your problem is concerned.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
well, yes, those sound like great tools, but actually convincing management to buy will be harder. I was thinking more along the lines of using spread sheets or something similar. I am really interested in the steps, the procedure, one follows to do it. I assume an article about it would have some samples. If I cannot find any suggestions, I will just do this the way I see it, which may not be as well thought out. Bill