Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Using Fixed Units to update remaining duration

No replies
Thomas Smith
User offline. Last seen 11 years 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am having difficulty working with resource dependent activities; specifically, I have a project-specific series of tasks for which I have some reliable production data and I thought it might be helpful to reconsider activity durations in terms of what we've seen from the contractor to date v. what they programmed into the schedule (durations not supported by any resource, estimate, etc).

My thought was to change the activity type from Task to Resource dependent, the duration from Fixed Duration/Units/Time and Fixed Units, and apply a new resource (material) that represents the number of "widgets" associated with the activity and impose a production limit using the resource Max Units/Time field.  My hope was that I could manually input budgeted units (# of widgets) and the program would calculate the "required duration" automatically.  Nothing happens however.

Anyone have any advice?  I've been racking my brain over this all weekend.

Thanks!