Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing Multple XER files

7 replies [Last post]
David Murphy
User offline. Last seen 11 years 30 weeks ago. Offline

As a forensic programmer, I go to many different companies - I am often sent multiple xer files to analyse. Is there any way of importing more than one xer file at a time? I understand that you can export multiple file as one xer, but often we don't have this advantage.

Replies

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

David,

It depends on what you are looking to do with the XER Files.

The Command line utility can only create new projects & cannot update existing projects - not sure if there is a speed advantage in using this option as the Primavera Desktop application is not open during this import process. This will require some understanding of creating batch files & modifying XML Files to enable this to work. I have only used this for file exports & not tried the import option.

I would personally not recommend going down the xerFileParserBuilder route to merge multiple xer files, unless you really know the structure of the XER files & that you confirm thtat there is no duplicate key values in all the XER files - potential to corrupt yor entire database this way. It is also likely to take you longer to do this than just importing the files normally!

Please note that while the xerFileParserBuilder can be utilised to modify xer files, it also has the potential to create errors in your database. Calendar Data can grow considerably depending on how many calendar exceptions there are in the source database - excel has a maximum size limit for the amount of data each cell can contain & there is a potential that this could be exceeded. Activity Notebooks is another area where this data cropping may occur. Not saying not to use it - just to use caution!

If you are looking to compare XER files that contain the same project to allow comparisons, then you will be best looking to import each one separately so that if required you can rename the projects on import (in my opinion anyway).

I would also suggest having different databases if possible for each client, as there is potential for global data to be changed between the different companies (easy to do if using an SQLite Database format). 

Regards,

Steven

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 1 day 6 hours ago. Offline

Yes, you can use the window explorer to import multiple xer like a batch file import. If the XER default program is P6 Primavera, you can highlight all XER to be imported and right click. Select Open. (It is recommended the P6 is already open, so you don't need to login.) Depending on how many xer you are going to import, it may take a couple of seconds before the P6 window import will show and it will import the xer one by one like a batch import.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

I beilive that you can also import them therough a command prompt

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 1 day 6 hours ago. Offline

If you are familiar with xerFileParserBuilder, you can combine all the xer into one xer and import it as one (assuming that the xer's are separate files). Otherwise, you can use a 3rd party software available in the market.

Peter Phatsoane
User offline. Last seen 2 years 30 weeks ago. Offline

Hi David, did you get assistance regarding multiple XER importing? if you did do you mind sharing the solution please.

Greg Horsfall
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Contact me with your exact needs and I will include this capability in the next version of XER Manager software. Regards, greg.horsfall@fortiorglobal.com
Greg Horsfall
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
I am willing to add functionality to the XER Manager product to facilitate a solution. If you could please send me your exexact requirement. Maybe a batch merge into one XER file is is an option also. I have some ideas on how to loop through a folder of files importing automatically but would appreciate your input. Regards Greg.Horsfall@fortiorglobal.com