Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Print Preview Problem P6

11 replies [Last post]
Rhys Parry
User offline. Last seen 11 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have Imported a MSP Plan into Primavera 6 Version 2 as an XML once this had been done I then wanted to Print Preview this to show the Gantt Chart and all Activities associated with it.

Only thing is it only shows the activities and columns related to them and not the gantt chart, is this something to do with the file being imported as XML?

As if I make a Plan in Primavera and then show the Print Preview for works fine and shows the Gantt chart.

Please help

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 1 hour ago. Offline

they only way to get the bars to EVER display correct is to perform the backward pass which is by scheduling the project.

Also remember importing and MSP project is not exact even the alogrithm for the calculatons is different. 

The way that it uses calendars is different and the way it schedules relations can be different

Best bet is ALWASY re-schedule the project 

Matt T
User offline. Last seen 5 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

The issue was that the correct answer to the problem had not been supplied, and this thread appears in google searches.

If a schedule has never been rescheduled via F9, it will not display the Gantt Chart when printing. This is true for both new P6 schedules or for MSP imports. You can test this by creating a new P6 schedule, add in a few activities but do not schedule (F9) it, and then print preview.

While it is a simple solution to just F9 an MSP import to get the Gantt Chart to display, I am always very cautious in F9'ing any schedule that I didn't create as I do not know if the logic is sound. MSP files I receive often have particularly bad or incomplete logic...

Zoltan Palffy

So Matt I do not see an issue here you schedule it prints done

Matt T
User offline. Last seen 5 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

I know this is a very old thread, and I assume that everyone that has experienced this has resolved it by now, but I wanted to post the solution to this as it comes up in google searches.

An MSP import will not display the Gantt chart on import until the project has been scheduled (F9'd). Once you have F9'd the Gantt chart will once again print.

Zoltan Palffy

change setup default printer to Adobe pdf in the windows settings

David Craig
User offline. Last seen 5 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

I am currently having this exact issue. Did anyone resolve this?

Thanks,

David

Raj Kalavar
User offline. Last seen 11 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Make sure your PS and PF are not greyed out. If they did, use custom dates. To verify this, go to page setup then options. I had the same issue and for some reason, PF was greyed out when I imported from XML file. 

Rhys Parry

Amit

I have already selected to show the Gantt Chart within the Activities Window before I then click on Print Preview.

Weird!!

Thanks

Rhys

Amit Parmar (PMP)
User offline. Last seen 11 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Rhys,

Gantt Chart view should also be enabled in your layout before you can use print preview. Enable gantt chart in your layout and then try checking your print preview.

Regards

Amit

Check out my blog on Primavera at http://www.primaverablog.in

Rhys Parry

Rajesh

I have made sure all this is in place the Planned start date and data date match and all the Print Preview Setting are all correct.

under the Timescale Start I have PS (early project start) & Timescale Finish is PF (Latest Project finish)

It still doesnt show the Gantt Chart only the Activities are listed.

I don't know if it is something to do with it being an Import from MSP as an XML as If I make one in P6 and then run a print preview it seems to work.

I dont see why that would cause the problem though. I really need this to work as clients within my company send me MSP files which I Import into P6 and then I normally PDF the Project Plan showing all activities and Gantt Chart.

Thanks

Rhys

Rajesh Khanna Sake
User offline. Last seen 1 year 49 weeks ago. Offline

Rhys,

Check the following in your project -

1. Project Details window > 'Dates' tab> see if Planned start date and data date are accurate.

2. Print preview > Page Setup > under 'Print' see if check box for 'Gantt Chart' is checked

3. Print preview > Page Setup > check of 'Timescaled Start' and 'Timescaled Finish' are set to 'PS - Project Start' and 'PF - Project Finish'

Let me know if it works.

Thanks,

Rajesh