Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Hard Dollar Estimater / Equipment as a Resource

1 reply [Last post]
Shelby Solski
User offline. Last seen 6 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

Greeting all :)

We have just implemented the new estimating software Hard Dollar - which downloads the estimate directly into Primavera P6 v7 (at least that's version we are using).  Has anyone had any experience with this software -- I am extremely new to using it and wonder if its truely as wonderful as they claim.

Also having problems with equipment - which is being loaded from Hard Dollar into Primavera - but seems to have a calendar mind of its own.   I truthfully have never loaded equipment (except critical items) into a schedule.  Does anyone have any recommendations on how to set up equipment as a resource - should it be on a 24/7 calendar at an hourly or day rate etc etc.  I am a bit lost here.  

Any help is appreciated :)  THANKS

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 53 min ago. Offline

Shelby,

I do not know about Hard Dollar software but perhaps can give you some hints you can adapt.

At home, we have several rules of thumb for equipment rentals, though it might vary, in general:

• Equipment monthly rental ~ 6% cost of the equipment
  • Weekly rental = 1/3 monthly rental
  • Daily rental = 1/3 weekly rental

Depending on how much time you will rent the equipment you have to decide on your average rental rate reduced to hourly rate.

If machines are paid per hour (not for work) their costs shall be assigned to hammocks that last from the first to the last use of the machine. For this, I would use a dummy resource for each machine type. My software allows a hammock to be defined by a single activity and allows for resources be assigned to hammock, sorry not sure about P6 but assume it works in a similar way or at least that you will find a workaround.

Then you shall assign the working resources to each activity as for them to be considered under resource leveling. If your resources can be used on different shifts I recommend you use 24/7 calendar even when P6 cannot correctly model shift work.

For oil, fuel and lubricants you can consider using material resources you load either to the hammock or the individual activities as reasoned appropriate depending on consumption, if by time intervals or per hour of use.

Regards,

Rafael