Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Suspend and Resume dates linking

5 replies [Last post]
Yusuke Kamui
User offline. Last seen 14 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi, this may seem sound easy for you, but can anyone tell me how to do this:

I have a task (Task AAA) ending on March 31
I have multiple tasks that were suspended last January 31 and I want them to resume on March 31 (as per the finish date of Task AAA)

How to link them or how to do it?

Another case:
I have another task (Task BBB) ending on February 22
I have multiple taks that must be suspended on Feburary 22 (as per the finish date of Task BBB)

How to link them or how to do it?

Thanks!

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Rafael

Of course the non-working periods in any calendar are flexible.

If the suspension period changes you just change the calendar to suit.

You will need as many calendars as there are different suspension periods affecting different tasks.

I once did a full delay analysis and acceleration claim using nothing but different calendars.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 45 min ago. Offline
Mike

Can you make the available calendar days dynamic as to follow logic? Suspension periods are not static, the provided suspension dates are projected but they might vary, on item 1 as per the finish date of Task AAA and on item 2 as per the finish date of Task BBB. This is not a Bar Chart.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Yusuk

A much easier way is to set up some calendars with Non Work days for the suspended periods and apply it to the affected tasks.

Best regards

Mike Testro.
Yusuke Kamui
User offline. Last seen 14 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi, thanks for the reply... I’ll give it a try...
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 45 min ago. Offline
Divide Task BBB/CCC… ea into two Tasks named, BBB (Suspended) /CCC (Suspended) … and BBB (Resume)/CCC (Resume)... Update Task BBB (Suspended) /CCC (Suspended) … as finished on January 31, link Task BBB (Resume)/CCC (Resume)... with a FS predecessor link to AAA and link to appropriate successors as to maintain logic, if finish of AAA is delayed start of the successors is delayed and so on. Keep a FS link between Suspend and Resume activities as not to leave open ends on Suspend activities.

Make multiple tasks to be suspended “hammock” / “LOE” tied by the end to the finish of task BBB. If they must continue add required activities linked to BBB as predecessor and link to appropriate predecessors/successors as to maintain logic, if finish of BBB is delayed start of the successors is delayed and so on.
Not sure if under this case by suspended you mean finished or suspended and resume activities to follow new logic so I am trying to cover both cases.

Use suspend activity updating only when you do not know resume logic.