Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Tracing Logic

4 replies [Last post]
Paul Hodgson
User offline. Last seen 8 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am currently working in P6 with a programme that has almost 10,000 activities, and contains some 60 Sectional Completion Milestones. I would like to run a report, which lists the activities, which are on the path to the completion of specific milestones. Ideally I would like to have all the logic linked to the Milestones, but just the driving logic would be a great help.

I have traced the logic back from a key Milestone and coded up activities to run a filter but this was most onerous; there must be a easier way!

Any assistance and guidance would be much appreciated.

Replies

Carlos Arana
User offline. Last seen 5 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Ronald, let me take off my hat. Yours is a GREAT solution. It works in any software. It is so simple. I love it. My wish is to come with some idea as simple and as useful in my lifetime.
Thanks.

By the way, I can’t even imagine a program with 10 000 activities, I get headaches with my 900 activities "La Yesca" Program.
Paul Hodgson
User offline. Last seen 8 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Guys

Many thanks to your response to my query.
I will let you know how I get on, but under pressure at present completing month end programmes & reports.

Thanks again.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
I published a paper on just how to do what you are looking for at http://www.ronwinterconsulting.com/published.htm. Look for the title, “Managing Multiple Milestones. Good luck!
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Paul,

I would suggest to use the "Calculate multiple float paths" in Tools --> Schedule (F9), Options, Advanced Tab.

1. In "Calculate multiple paths using" select Total Float.
2. In "Display multiple float paths ending with activity" select the milestone you wanted to trace all the relationships.
3. In "Specify the number of paths to calculate", it depends on you to input the number, otherwise accept the default. Then select close.
4. Run the "Schedule".
5. Now, select "Filters", select New.
6. Rename the Filter (e.g. Float Path).
7. In Filter Parameters:
Where: Float Path "is within range of" 1 10
8. Then Apply.

Let us know if you have done this. To filter only the those driving activities. I will post here later.

Regards,

Arnold