Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How do we know What is the Proj. % Comp ?

18 replies [Last post]
Suresh Sankaranku...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hi
The senario :
I am not using any costloading
I am using Physical % Comp as the activity % Type. On this ground how can i come to know the total project % complete ? Which column gives the rollup / summary of my project % complete ?

Have any one got any idea ?
Thx
Suresh

Replies

Suresh Sankaranku...
Guys,
I found the result on this scenario, thats nothing but Unit % complete. When i calculate manually EV/BC the unit % compelte comes true. And thats the same result which P6 Webaccess gives.

Anyway thnx for everyone.
suresh
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
PPs

As I stated earlier, its the driver, not the car.

Agreed a suitable weighting factor and load it as a resource and use EVMS for that resource then you can roll up the % complete correctly

Alex
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 39 weeks ago. Offline
I would go into the Scheduling options, and set "recalculate costs when scehduling" on. That way every time you schedule, the costs are recalculated.

OR

Tools - recalculate activity costs.

P6 DOES NOT recalculate activity costs after changing them automatically
Suresh Sankaranku...
David, i applied 01 GBP to all activities but still i dont get any result.
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
i believe you are right Naveen

David,

would you mind explaining further?
Naveen Subbaiah
User offline. Last seen 13 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
David,

What is meant by actual man hours ANTICIPATED to be expended ? I mean, the term actual means already expended right ? Please correct me.

Regards
Naveen
David Kelly
Be careful with Units percent complete - it is the percentage of actual manhours anticipated to be expended NOT earned manhours.
David Kelly
There is no way to roll up the percentage of liquidated manhours in P6.

To do so you need to set the resource costs to £1.00 and then performance percent complete (which is a cost variable) does the manhours.

Suresh Sankaranku...
Hi everyone,

MY QUESTION IS NOT "HOW TO ROLLUP THE PHYSICAL % COMPLETE"

I am asking which column gives me the % complete on basis of Earned Value Units. Infact, i am pretty sure that myPrimavera gives the result on the basis from the same databse and that is exactly correct when we calculate manually.

Thanks.
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
physical % complete in P5/P6 is variable (you can put it manually, whatever comes to your mind), so how can you roll (summarized) it up? by putting manual values as well? (then you’re guessing!).

you need to have a common unit in order to make accurate calculations, may it be in costs, time or quantities.
Suresh Sankaranku...
Hi David,
I have gone through your solution and also i have been in your earlier post reagarding the physical % complete roll up. As you said, i have applied .1 pound to all resource and still the Physical % complete doesnt rollup. Again the performance % complete gives some value, but the performance % comes out from cost and the cost we assigned is not the real. Here, Knowledge base prim11292 says if you select Activity % complete in the earned value calculation in admin preference the activiity % complete (physical) will be equal to performance % complete and i agree with that on activity level. But if you come to the summary level, the performance % complete comes out on the different formula, Performance % complete = BCWP*100/BAC.
Here BCWP is calculated as Activity % complete * Baseline Total cost.

Question is since we are not keeping the proper costing, will the performance % complete correct? if not, what would be the right data i can trust. Unit % complete ?

Thnx
Suresh
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Dear All

I think Suresh got the picture now and thats why he is not coming back for more question.

Alex
Ritesh Kumar
User offline. Last seen 1 year 44 weeks ago. Offline
Hi suresh

Example:

Pouring concrete foundations is a good example using the incremental milestone method. Each major task is weighted to give it a percentage when that particular activity has been completed.

Excavation - 20%
Forming - 12%
Rebar - 15%
Pouring - 25%
Stripping - 10%
Backfill - 18%

When excavation is complete, the foundation is 20% complete. When excavation, forming and rebar are complete, the foundation is 47% complete.

The Start / Finish Method.

An arbitrary percentage is assigned to the start of the task and given 100 percent when the task is completed. Millwright alignment work usually falls into this category. Aligning a major fan and motor may take a few hours or a few days, depending on the situation. Workers know when this work starts and when it is finished, but they never know the percentage completion in between. Other examples include planning activities, flushing and cleaning, testing, and major rigging operations.
A starting percentage of 50% is equivalent to a task completed at a constant rate over time, and is reasonable for a short duration lower-value tasks. For tasks with a longer duration of higher value, a lesser percentage (20-30%) would be used. This is because the percentage directly affects progress payments and an owner will hesitate to recognize too much completion in advance.
From a contractors view, using a slightly higher percentage (50%) allows for more payment in the front end.

Example:

Task is to align a motor.
When the task is started you give it a % of 30%. When the task is completed you can upgrade it to 100%. The 30% is fairly arbitrary and should be based on experience.

The Supervisor Opinion Method.

The supervisor simply makes a judgment of percent complete on a specific task. Some supervisors are optimists and some are pessimists; every opinion is different and never consistent.

This is a very subjective approach and is used for tasks where a discrete method is not possible. Dewatering, temporary construction, and landscaping are all candidates for this application.

Example:

Supervisor declares that the landscaping is 85% complete. This can be based on whatever the supervisor believes.

The Cost Ratio Method.

Can be used for tasks that either involve a long period of time or are continuous over the full life of the project. In this method the % completed is calculated by dividing the actual cost or work hours expended to date by those forecast for completion. Project management, quality assurance, and project controls are areas where the cost ratio method may be applied.

% Complete = Actual cost or Work hrs to date / Forecast at completion

It should be noted that this method is not an accurate method to use and can be very misleading when providing progress measurement.

Forecasts, when dealing with progress, should be based on performance measurement Using performance factors is the only way to accurately measure future forecasts, whether discussing schedule or costs. The problem lies in the fact that proper performance measurement is based on an accurate assessment of progress. With this method however, you get the horse before the cart, so to speak.
You are using a forecast, which is not based on performance to get a measurement of progress. This will lead to many problems, especially when determining your pf, which should be based on accurate progress.

Example:

We have spent 4500 hrs so far and are forecasting to spend 7500 in order to complete the project. What is the percent complete?

4500 / 7500 = 60% complete

Note: The forecast of 7500 could be based on anything. It is not based on any pf, therefore providing an inaccurate progress measurement.

The Method of Weighted or Equivalent Units.

Is used for tasks that involve a long period of time and are composed of several subtasks, each with a different unit-of-work measurement. Each subtask is weighted according to the estimated level of effort required. As quantities are completed for each subtask, they are converted into individual units. Structural steel erection provides a good example of where this method may be applied. Structural steel is normally estimated and controlled by using tons as the unit of measure.

The subtasks included in steel erection, like shimming, columns, and cross braces, each have a different unit of measure. To handle this, each subtask is weighted according to the estimated level of effort (usually work hours) that will be dedicated to the subtask. These weights are called “rules of credit.” As quantities of work are completed for each subtask, the quantities are converted into equivalent tons tables or chart that were agreed upon and that were set up prior to the erection.

Percent Complete = 83.5 / 520 tons = 16.1%
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 1 week ago. Offline
Suresh
You got an answer already from david. I absolutely agree to it.
In another of your threads I found that you already contacted Primavera experts for some time and they couldn’t provide a solution to you. Why? I told you in my previous post.
When I started in IT (>30years) there was a joke: After three days of work you ask a programmer how much he got already. He says "90%". Three months later you ask him on the same task. His response: "90%". That’s about physical %-complete. As I don’t like it, I ask "When will the task/activity be ready?" or "How much time you’ll need for it?". Then we are at duration- or units %-complete which is (to some extend) reliable, physical %-complete not. Best is Earned Value Analysis.
To my humble opinion.
Nevertheless during week-end I’ll try for a solution for your approach.
Regards
Dieter
David Kelly
Hi suresh!

Boy, you are everywhere. The description you give above seems fine. What’s the problem?

The use of performance % complete to measure progress is something I teach in a 102 course.

Earned value analysis is the whole of the law.

Yes, up here the oil and gas industry we tend to do EVA in units rather than cost too. So using £1.00 per hour for all the resources sorts that. I am persuing a personal campaign to get the industry to change to cost rather than units

I posted something here some time ago about how to get the baseline equivalent of performance percent complete - as I am sure you have found out Schedule percent complete is based on duration not earned value. There is a cute work around

Bet Ian Adan is reading this - Hey, Ian! you checked that work-around yet?

What ON EARTH would we want physical % complete rolled up for? I can’t imagine what that might mean.
Suresh Sankaranku...
Dieter,
See, What is performance % complete ? And Performance % complete gives the rollup as well. But performance % complete in p6 calculate on basis of
Performance % comp = BCWP*100/BAC

see the below knowledge base
Problem: Can Physical Percent Complete be summarized?

Problem: Can ’Physical % Complete’ be displayed on a Summary Band?

Problem: How can I show a roll up summary of my Physical % Complete?

Problem: Summary ’Physical % Complete’ is blank when displaying in a column.

Fix:
’Physical % complete’ is not rolled up, because it is a discrete, user entered value assigned to an activity. Since ’Physical % Complete’ does not relate to the duration, units or costs of the activity, there is no common denominator to use for the summary.

The ability to summarize Physical Percent Complete is in an existing enhancement request. If you would like to add your Company to this Enhancement Request, please send your feedback via the Comments field below this solution. If you have a suggestion on how you would like percent complete summarized, please include this in your comments. For example, one way to summarize would be to take an average of all the Percent complete values.

Workaround:

It is possible to configure the Activity’s ’Performance % complete’ to equal the ’Physical % complete’. Performance % complete can be rolled up to the summary bands. However, to achieve this, the following three statements need to be true:

1) The ’% Complete type’ of the activities must be set to ’Physical % complete’. This option is located in the General tab in the Activities View (Note: this will set the ’Activity % complete’ value to be equal to ’Physical % complete’. This will also impact the Earned Value calculation.)

2) The ’Technique for calculating performance % Complete’ needs to be set to Activity % complete. This option is located in the Earned Value tab in the WBS View (Note: this will set the ’Performance % complete’ value to be equal to Activity % complete, which equals Physical % complete).

3) Finally, in order for the Performance % Complete to be rolled up to the summary band(s), costs need to be assigned to the activity. These costs must also be present in the Primary baseline.

Please Note:
At the summary level, the Performance % complete is calculated as follows:

Performance % Complete = (BCWP * 100) / BAC

(Where the BCWP is the Budgeted Cost of Work Performed and the BAC is the Budget At Completion)

BCWP is calculated as Activity % Complete * Baseline Total Cost

By setting the 3 conditions above, the Activity % complete will equal the Physical % complete thus ensuring that the summary value for Performance % complete is calculated with regard to the Physical % complete, weighted by the activities’ cost.

Here, AS of my knowledge you can find out what is the project % complete so far on the above ground based on Earned value unit. ie : Performance % complete = Earned Value Units / Budgeted Units . Here in P6 the performance % gives on basis of the costing and NOT units. In this situation which column gives me the % complete of my project. I asked the same question to Primavera tech but still they are roaming around to get the answer.

The strange thing is Myprimavera (primavision) gives exactly right result on the basis of unit even if we dont use any costing
Thnax
Dieter Wambach
Suresh
The %-complete is an item that you agree with the customer or management for internal projects before a project starts.
Typycal examples:
- By deliverables (e.g. 5% of a building after foundation ready)
- By payment milestones

After you have an agreement on progress measurement you can consider, how to model it in Primavera.
Regards
Dieter
Dieter Wambach
Hi Suresh
By design this column is not summarized.
It isn’t possible. Why? To summarize a percent complete you need a weight for each activity which can be given by costs or units. Is an activity with a duration of 10 days more relevant than another with a duration of 8 days? What’s about milestones?
You don’t know; so how should any scheduling software?
I’m afraid that you’ll have to choose a different approach.
Regards
Dieter