Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How about multiple float paths?

2 replies [Last post]
niles luo
User offline. Last seen 12 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear all:
What is multiple float paths? What further information that we can achieve if we use multiple float paths?
Regards,
niles

Replies

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Total Float would not be as useful a measurement if it could only tell us what was critical. It also tells us how far away other activities are from becoming critical. We call these ‘almost critical’ activities, “near-critical.” Any decent CPM analysis also looks at near-critical activities.

Longest path is a more accurate measurement of the critical path than just using total float. The weakness of using longest path over using total float is that longest path only tells you if an activity is on or off of the longest path. You have no idea how far a non-longest path activity is from joining the longest path.

Multiple float paths tries to answer the question, “what is my second-most longest path, my third-most, etc?” I hope that this helps. Good luck!
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline
My concern about the multiple float paths option is the type of question it answers....

What might go wrong?
Which is the most likely path?

These types of questions are best answered by Pertmaster, Primavera’s risk management package.