Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing from MSP - Mapping Columns

5 replies [Last post]
Matt Rudge
User offline. Last seen 15 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

I am trying to import a project from MSP into an existing WBS inside a project.

There is certain data which has been included within text columns 1,2 and 5 within project and when the import box pops up an option for field mapping is given. However the columns which I would like to map to are not there.

How do I go about extracing the data from the MSP text columns and putting it in the P3e columns?

Thanks in advance

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 4 days 2 hours ago. Offline
Hi Matt,

You can also used Custom Outline Code in MSP and it automatically map as Activity code in P3e instead of Custom Text.

Rodel
Paul Winthrop
User offline. Last seen 9 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Matt,

I am attempting a similar thing right now.

I have found that you can import MSP text1, text2 etc to user_text1, user_text2 in P3e and then use a global change to move data from user_text1 into one of your activity codes.

Regards,

Paul.
Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Mat,

In this case i also should do this in 2 projects to start with. You can always decide to make in into 1 project (by changing WBS for instant)
And how much work is it when you have the right items into the user defined field, to set them into the activity code?. Myself i used this way (of workaround) many times

Regards
Henk
Matt Rudge
User offline. Last seen 15 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Henk,

Thanks for the reply.

The problem I have is I am trying to merge 2 projects into p3e, 1 from Suretrak the other from MSP.

The Suretrak plan uses codes for fields which are transferred over to P3e’s activities fields, where as MSP places the data in text columns.

As far as I can see you can only map MSP text columns to P3e user defined columns.

The only way I can see round this is to keep the MSP project as a seperate project or maybe use Excel to copy data from user defined column to activity column.

Unless you have any different ideas to try???

Thanks,

Matt
Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Mat.
When you’re going to import you’ve to define a template which collum in MSP should be linked with which collum in Primavera.
This can be done by custom field mappings. in this area you can define all mappings you like als the activity area. You just have to select the right area "select subject area"

kind regards

Henk