Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Earned Value Analysis

2 replies [Last post]
Philip Richards
User offline. Last seen 14 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can anyone offer advice?

I am for the first time dipping my toe into the murky waters of Earned Value Analysis. My aim is to produce an Earned Value Chart from a P3 (V3.1) project programme. My problems are as follows:

1 I want to calculate the percent complete as a function of resource hours spent and revised estimate of hours remaining. I have set up a global change to calculate this, but the problem arises where an activity has more than one resource. The global change formula only takes account of one of the resources (though if these values are displayed in a column, the sum of all resources on that activity are given). (I cannot use the Resource ‘Percent Complete’ as produced by P3, as this is derived as a function of the original budget value, not the revised current value)

2 My Target plan contains some wild card resources. When these resources are re-named in the current plan, the planned value for that activity becomes zero. The current plan has lost the link to the original resource in the target. Do I need to go back and update the Target, each time a resource is allocated in the current plan?

3 What is the best method of producing an Earned Value Chart from the data produced in P3. Ideally showing all the relevant data (BCWS, ACWP, BCWP, cost and schedule variances, estimated cost at completion etc).

4 We are considering upgrading our planning software from P3 to P3V5 (Enterprise). Is the EVA facility much improved?

Replies

John Garay
User offline. Last seen 7 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Philip,

In regards to your item 3: If you upgrade to Primavera v5, you can then take advantage of the full set of charts in DecisionEdge. DecisionEdge comes with over 120 bundled charts and reports (including EVA charts), and we can also provide you with almost any custom chart you need. Once a chart is created, you can quickly and easily view live project data.

I worked at Primavera for 12+ years, where I heard of the need again and again for improved charting and reporting functionality. That’s what DecisionEdge is focused on providing.

Please contact me directly - would be happy to provide you with more information to get you what you need.

Regards,
John Garay
DecisionEdge, Inc.
jgaray@decisionedge.com
http://www.decisionedge.com
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Philip,

You can’t do earned value analysis at the resource level in P3e. Or "productivity" by resource.

Yes, I know it has to do the sums at this level, but it only stores them at the activity level.