Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

scheduale in premavera planner ?

23 replies [Last post]
Mohammed Foudeh
User offline. Last seen 7 years 1 day ago. Offline
hello all,
i would like to ask ; what is the best way to perform one scheduale containing (1-actual expenses & quantites,2-budgeted costs& quantites 3-B.O.Q prices& Quantites)taking in to consederation payments to vendors ,payments from client?
thank you

Replies

Andrew Edwards
User offline. Last seen 6 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I agree entirely with Bill and Philip - there are too many so-called "Planners" / "Planning Engineers" who refuse to leave the comfort of the PC and start THINKING. P3 / P3e / Project et al do a lot of wonderful things if you ask them (nicely), but first you need to understand what you are asking, why you are asking it and the answer you expect to get.
This job throws up enough unexpected surprises from external factors, nevermind those we contrive to inflict upon ourselves through lack of Planning knowledge.

When I started in Planning, the guy who wa my ’tutor’ left my with the motto GOYA. Get Off Your Ass.
It works for me.
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Outstanding Philip

One shoud be qualified as a planner to call themselves a planning engineer. THIS MEANS, TOSS THE COMPUTER, DO IT LONGHAND AND KNOW ABOUT PLANNING FIRST, then go back and use a computer as a TOOL to ASSIST in Planning.

Otherwise they should call them selves Student Planners or Junior Planning students.
bill
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

Bill is right, why are certain people proclaiming themselselve as all kind of experts, on this forum if they have the brainpower of donkeys. At least the Guys who figured, Like Watt and a couple of of others who left their namws around, I left a posting on tall buildings within the last week and nobody responded. Where are all you Woosies, that know all about planning, but do not know some of the great engineers like Monsieur Eiffel and Henry Olivier et al. You are a bunch of Mickey Mouses AND THE REST, WHO FIDDLE WITH KEYBOARDS AND MOUSES, AND SPEND YOUR TIME CONFUSING YOURSELVES THAT PLANNING IS ABOUT COMPUTORS.

In the first place a planner should be able to spell the word schedule. I lay down the gauntlet here.
Bill Guthrie
ASSLAAM ALIKUM MOHAMMED

Dear Mohammed, if you need to ask, then you need to hire a Site Cost Engineer. On a jobsite is not the place for a beginner, unelss guided and tought by a qualified Cost Engineer.
Reason,
you cannot learn in 5 minutes what takes 5 years to learn. You need a guide.

Salam, Bill
Mohammed Foudeh
hello all...

thanx again for ur great replyes...
but iam now in this stage not talking about using premavera in cost controlling...i just want to know how to start tracking the costs in the site,,what is the forms required and what is the required reports to be issued...in other word..the procedure of cost controlling in the construction sites...

plz if any one have any Doc. /pdf...etc... Related To this subject...i will be thankfull If could send to ( Foudeh80@hotmail.com) or (Foudehm@husseini-gc.com)

regards
Mohammed Muneeruddin
User offline. Last seen 5 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
ASSLAAM ALIKUM MOHAMMED

TO DO THE COST CONTROL USING CCS- WHICH HAS MODULES CANDY (ESTIMATING), VALUATION, MATERIAL RECEIVED, SITEPLAN AND CASHFLOW.

1. ESTIMATE THE JOB FROM FIRST PRINCIPLES IN CANDY

2. DO THE VALUATION IN THE VALUATION MODULE.

3. COMPARE THE ACTUAL COST FROM YOUR COMPANY COSTING SYSTEM TO THE REPORTS AVAILABLE IN THE VALUATION MODULE.

4. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY COSTING SYSTEM. USE THE MATERIAL REC’D MODULE TO RECORD THE MATERIAL, PLANT, LABOUR, ETC.,

AND COMPARE THE REPORTS TO THE ACTUALS TO THE EARNED VALUE.

BEST REGARDS

MUNEER

Bill Guthrie
Ett, like your reply. Very good.
And concur. one must know what he wants to get in order to resolve the problem.
Cheers Bill
Ett Di Giovanni
User offline. Last seen 7 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Guys,

It’s important to have the right tool for the right job.

Mohammed would like to do cost control using P3, and some of us are suggesting that it’s not the best tool for that purpose.

Bill’s suggestion on exporting the data to Excel and doing cost control there, could work, but my experience with spreadsheets is that they are designer dependent. They have a tendency to become very complex, especially when trying to attempt cost control and performance measurement, as Mohammed is wanting to do. I’m sure we’ve all been in a situations where we’ve inherited someones else’s spreadsheet. You’re afraid to modify a cell as you don’t know what affect it’s going to have. So, I wouldn’t recommment going with spreadsheets.

I’m not familiar with CCS, but I do know that PRISM Project Manager does cost control and performance measurement (BCWS,BCWP,ACWP,CPI,SPI and I-EAC) and it has a seamless interface to P3 and P3e/c and MS-Project. It can also tie in estimating, procurement, contracts adminstation, engineering progress and materials management,if required.

Still, it’s only a tool. What’s more important is to understand what cost control is all about and a good learning source is the AACEI organization.

Good knowledge with good tools... can’t be it.
Philip Jonker
Hi Razi,

Abelated answer about CCS, that is candy and marsbar, they are functional packages, which in a way makes sense, but the problem is there is no interacing of the software
Philip Jonker
Hi guys, there is a lot to be said about cost control, but P3 is not the program for it. Bill is quite correct and the problem will just escalate if you try and confuse planning and cost control. You could probably handle the problem if you understand both disciplines correctly, however Mr Daya’s proposals of quick fixes is not the ultimate solutions, and you need to think the problem through. But not think this site will give you the answers, as most respondents are not aware of all the problems, and as such give half answers. The final desicion remains with you

Regards

Philip
Bill Guthrie
Mohammad

I have found that although one can control cost using primavera, its a lot simpler to export your plan to excel after you develop it and manage actuals in excel.

much simpler for sure.

but have done it in P3 and its a lot of fun, and a challange there.

enjoy
cheers Bill
Ett Di Giovanni
Mohammed,

There are books written on how to properly do cost control for projects.

As a start, I recommend looking at the AACEI website...

www.aacei.org

Ett
Mohammed Foudeh
hi all
i would like to thank u all for ur useful comments
but please if any one can tell me what is the detailed procedure for cost control in site for construction projects...
thanks again
regards
Ett Di Giovanni
Or try "PRISM Project Manager" software.
Razi Khan
User offline. Last seen 7 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Hello

Try CCS software for integration of Estimating, Planing and Cost Control.

For more detail refer its website : www.ccssa.com
Ett Di Giovanni
Mohammed,

Doing cost control using a scheduling tool is awkward and inefficient.

A better solution is to use a tool that was designd for cost control and has the ablitiy to integrate with you schedule. It’s easier to manage a time-phased budget than to manage a cost loaded schedule.
Mohammed Foudeh
i am looking for acost control system to be implemented in the site (containing store ,materials,man power...etc)
i would like tp apply such these systems in my company..and i will be thankfull if you could give me ahand calculation in schedualing and cost control system such these inforamtion will be so helpfull to me in oreder to apply and understand the system . thanks alot friend
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Mohammed,
What kind of information you are looking for in Cost Control?. Specify you requirements, i will try to help you.

Cheers!!!

Daya
Mohammed Foudeh
thanks mr gupta and mr dhandahane....its really agreat information...i just have another question; can any one help to find afull detailed information related to cost control in construction(if available in pdf format it will be greatfull)
thanks all
regards
mohammed
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Mohamed,

The following may help you............
1. use Income as a resource code and assign your selling price for all activities.
2. for internal budget, you have to use different resource codes(for LCARP,LMASON,LLabour etc.,) according to your company standards if any and assign their respective rates
and for plants, use PJCB, PEXCAVA... resource codes and assign their corresponding rates(working + idle rates)and for materials use appropriate codes and assign their rates, all things could be done in the resource dictionary

and assign all resources budgeted hrs(man-hrs/plant-hrs)and material qty in the budgeted qty section in the activity form.

then make this schedule as a baseline or target schedule, then you can update your actual expenses in the current schedule activities while you status the programme.

HTH

Daya
Puneet Gupta
User offline. Last seen 10 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Well
Budgeting facility is available in Primavera but that can not be used for our purpose.

If you want to apply Earned value management system to know BCWP/BCWS, you need to define a resource , assign it to activities, assign the resource curve ( bell shape) is preferable, do remember to make baseline after this, add columns for BCWP / BCWS & Actual cost . enter the actual and schedule your project.

I hope this will work for you
Mohammed Foudeh
WHAT I Mean is ;
now i want to perform ascheduale on premavera planner,and i want to include the budget of the project (internal budget) and the selling price (B.o.q) for each activity and also i want to include the actual cost...my question is : how can i include all these (3) items in my scheduale(one scheduale only),or in another meaning :for comparison puropses i want to make acompoarison between bcwp & bcws/bcws & actual cost /bcwp&actual cost
please can any one explain what is the best criteria to perfome such scheduale..
thanks
Puneet Gupta
User offline. Last seen 10 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Please explain more clearly