Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Calendar

1 reply [Last post]
Brandon Jones
User offline. Last seen 10 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

If I have an activity, and the calendar for that activity is on a 7 day work week calendar but there is a resource assigned to that activity that has a resource calendar that is 5 day work week, will that limit my activity to 5 days a week?

So if activity "A" used an excavator who's resource calendar is 5 days a week, does P3 assume you can only work on activty A 5 days a week?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 2 hours ago. Offline

For years I have not used P3 but believe that if similar to SureTrak, another discontinued software, then it will depend on the Activity Type - you can define meeting activity meaning the activity will be scheduled when all resources are available at the same time or non-meeting activity that will be scheduled whenever some resources are available even when not available at the same time.

In P3 nor SureTrak you can model true shift-work, two crews with different meeting resources, each crew working independently under separate shifts or independently within a single shift. In software that can model separate crews within a single activity you can define each individual resource as a separate crew and this will provide the equivalent to a non-meeting activity, covering all the bases. Note that separate crew can have the same calendar, working on a same shift but on different days depending on the availability of each crew resources. This is a very intuitive implementation within Spider Project. Do not expect old discontinued software to be capable of doing what more modern software can do.