Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 keeps changing dates when I don’t want it to

9 replies [Last post]
Mike Miller
User offline. Last seen 11 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
P3 keeps moving dates when I don’t want it to, and it creating random lag times that I don’t know how it’s coming up with the dates. Please see the pic of the tasks circled in green... these are the tasks that P3 keeps changing. Even when a task is a milestone with a date I set, P3 will change it when I hit schedule. What am I doing wrong that P3 is making all these random lag times? Pic 1 is how it looks after I hit schedule and Pic is 2 is how looks before I hit schedule.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Replies

Mike Miller
Thanks for your help.. This program annoys me because it’s the first program I’ve ever used that I couldn’t just figure out how to use it on my own.
Marian Anyameluhor
User offline. Last seen 5 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mike,

I suffered a similar issue to the dates moving here are some of the things that resolved it.

don’t forget to contrain the date!
if you are scheduling from a particular date and it is not constrained it will simply start the activity at the earliest possible time hence it moves it back to the data date

if it is being driven by another activity that finishes late this will push it out everytime you hit F9 so double check your predecessors.

I also found that if i was trying to replicate an MS project into P3, MSP allows activities to finish and start on the same day however if P3 is set to schedule in units of a day it will always start thefollowing activity the next day therefore pushing everything out.

Persevere hope it helps.
Mike Miller
Yeah you’re right, it’s because that’s the Project’s finish date... I guess that wasn’t a good example. I give up on this useless program... I can make a better schedule with Paint
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 31 min ago. Offline
Mike,
Can you check File-> Project Information if you have Project must finish date define? It seems always finishing somewhere in Jun.
Mike Miller
I don’t think I have "level automatically".. you can take a look in the screen shot. I made a simplified example, except in this example it created extra lead time and before it was creating lag time. In the new sample I want the project to end on Aprl 16, but you can see P3 creates lag time out til June 10 and I don’t know why??

New Sample

Does this forum have no option to upload photos?
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 31 min ago. Offline
Mike,
Can you check Tools-> Schedule or (F9)-> Option if level automatically is selected? It should be Off
Mike Miller
Is it not possible to edit posts?
Mike Miller
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 days ago. Offline
Pic2 does not work.