Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Spinning plates at the circus.

No replies
Blake Waller
User offline. Last seen 15 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

What would be a good approach to create a schedule with a lot of flexibility. We have 30+ primary activities with 2 - 6 sub steps to complete each one. The superintendent has 14 employees and he is shifting crews around as he sees the need. While we would like to "schedule" each step precisely, it is both beyond the superintendents understanding and sometimes unnecessary to stick to the exact route.

Basically, we have about 6 main categories of work types to distribute the 30 +/- primary activities (mentioned above). Can I set up 6 main hammock activities with smaller hammocks for the 4 or 5 similar activities then create ANOTHER hammock for the even smaller sub tasks and make the logic as SS and FF for these different hammocks? Then schedule the 6 main hammocks with a loose structure by having the superintendent provide a broad stroke outline of his battle plan.

This way the superintendent could see what main category area is getting behind. Here is my analogy: I think of the guys who spin plates on the stick at the circus. They have to run back and forth as the plates start to slow down. Similarly, when one of the 6 main categories is getting behind, the superintendent knows that he has to pick up the pace on that main category or his overall end date will get pushed past the required finish date.

I know this is a bastardized use of P3, but would this make it easier for a superintendent to keep on schedule without us trying to track and modify the schedule each time they move out of sequence. (weather can certainly be a cause)

The owner of the company wants to know if the job is on track to finish. With this approach, I think the superintendent could see when and where he is getting behind and move manpower to that category to catch it up. The owner could see them juggling the different activities to keep on schedule.

I would appreciate your thoughts on creating a more flexible type of schedule.

Thanks,