Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

120,000+ activity project in P3

7 replies [Last post]
Ashish Abraham
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello,

We are expecting a project with a P3 schedule that contains approximately 120,000 activities . Is P3 designed to handle a project with over 100,000 activities? What are the pitfalls (in terms of P3 performance) that can be expected with such a schedule? What would be a recommended hardware configuration (RAM, processor and hard drive specifications) for a desktop computer equipped with P3, that can handle such a schedule? Please advise.

Thank you.

Replies

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
I agree that "Steps" is useful (maybe in principle), but to make the weightings function as to get a reliable summary, it can become complicated as you got to do it manually (i.e. Physical % Progress).

For Concrete works, you can break it down into three (3) activities: Rebars; Formworks; Place Concrete, so that you can determine exactly the quantities.

In P6, you can show the Columns (user defined fields) of your quantities.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
On the other hand,

if you find it dificult to understand, take a break

Watch the concert STEPS.

It may help you.

Steps is an irish band that disband long time ago. They got a good concert that was capture in dvd format. Also it was done long time ago.

Charleston-Joseph...
Abraham,

Steps in included in new version of Primavera.

let say concreting columns, you have activities: fabricate formworks, fabricate re-bars, install formworks, install rebar, pour concrete. These 5 activities can be presented in logical way but these can be shortened into one activity: pour concrete

so instead of five activities, you will only have 1 activity, pour concrete. However, if you monitore pour concrete, you will have steps or process involved to pour concrete that you dont have to show and to clog your programm to balloon into 100,000++ activities.

1 activity pour concrete but with steps or process that you need to monitor in excel (fabricate forms, fabricate re-bars, install formworks, install re-bar and finally pour concrete)

Each steps will be allocated a weight in such a way that the total weight is 100 %. In this way, as the process to pour concrete column advance, meaning, completion of each stage of the process, then a corresponding percentage completion to pour concrete columne will be captured periodically, depend on your reporting period.

Sensei
Successful Project Management Consultant
Ashish Abraham
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Charleston-Joseph,

Thanks for your reply. This schedule has been developed over a period of 4 or more years. What exactly do you mean by "STEPS"? Could you elaborate further please?

Dieter,

Thanks for your suggestion...I’ll try it out.

Raviraj,

Thanks for your reply.
Charleston-Joseph...
HI Abraham,

100,00++ activities will definitely slow down the processing.

I would suggest you chop the WBS into more details.

Also maximized the usage of activity codes, broaden the codes, create a lot of filters, a lot of views, etc.

WHY 100,000+++ activities?????????

would it e better if your team will minimize the number of activities and use "STEPS".????????

meaning since you are using P3 minimize the number of activities and use excel to identify the "STEPS", in this way you schedule will be easy to look and understand.

cheers,

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Abraham

Be careful as P3 uses btrieve as a database, which is a 16-bit application - with a limited adress-space. I now from a former colleague of an active project with about 110000 activities.
I would check before: Just create a project with 130000 activities (some reserve). With copy/paste and "Insert --> Autolink" you can easily create such a project. Then add some codes, resources. Then "F9". You’ll see if it does work.
Using P3 I never exceeded 1G of memory, but I don’t believe, that it would be able to adress more. This, I suppose won’t be the bottleneck. A normal modern PC should work - if your test will be successful.

Good luck!
Dieter
I would feel comfortable with P5/P6.
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Abraham,

Just follow the link below:

http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=&Cat=2&Top=35677

Check post#4 & post#8 of dieter

Cheers,

Ravi