Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What is the difference between P3e and P6?

4 replies [Last post]
DAVID SMITH
User offline. Last seen 10 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
I am a P3 user, and have the option to go to P6 or P3e.

i am leanign towards P3e as it will be more compatible with clients who i work with to allow ease of plan transfer.

My questions are:

is P6 the newest version of P3 (ie updated V5 of P3)? From what i can gather is it web based.

How is P3e different to P6?

what is more likely to be the tool that lasts the longest, ie will P6 replace P3e eventually or vice versa.

Thank you for all you help and advice in advance.

Dave

Replies

John Raper
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
As James has pointed out, P3 is 1980/90’s technology and runs on a Btrieve database. (i.e. under DOS, before Windows!!!)

P3e runs on a SQL database with shared access. It’s a very different data structure. P6 is the latest version.

There are not two types of P6. The database is installed on a server, and that has to have the P6 Server software on it. The P6 Client software is installed on the users PC.

It is possible to install the database on a PC and use it as a single user installation, just to add confusion!

Hope this helps with the understanding.
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
David

I don’t think that there is an "evolved P3" only P3e desktop or server in latest version (6)

P3 is based on the Btreive database which is generations behind current dbase tech. all the new ones run on SQL (either network or DT versions of)

Anyone feel free to correct me on this, but I think that’s right
DAVID SMITH
User offline. Last seen 10 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
so after a bit more research there is two types of P6 now.

P6 server & P6 desktop

so am i right in thinking that the server version is the web based evolution of P3e and the desktop version is the evolved P3.

thank fo ryour reply James, seems to be starting to make sense. i am going to a P6 seminar in a few few weeks, so should all be made clear then hoepfully.
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
My understanding is;

P3 stopped at Version 3.1 and has only been updated with Service packs since, no new releases are planned.

P3e was released under a completely new dbase engine (SQL instead of Btreive) and is now at version 6

thus P6 = the latest version of P3e

The Primavera site gives info on the difference between the releases. P3e seems to be a different animal from P3 though, so there’s a learning curve there. You’ll need to get on it at some point as the info we have from Pv in Europe is that they’re going to pull technical support for P3 in 2011 and that they won’t certify it for Vista (although plenty of people have reported running it with no problems ... well, no more problems than normal at least...)

You can take your projects with you from P3 to P3e, the guide on how to do so and what to think about is on the Pv site and is 200 pages long. I’ve read it and it seems all possible, but some effort ... and you’ll have to generate all your views, filters etc from scratch as they’re not transferred.

We will be migrating soon also.