Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Multiple instances of P3

11 replies [Last post]
Sajid Balma
User offline. Last seen 12 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can I have multiple instances of P3 on the same computer???

Replies

Sajid Balma
Hi Bijaya

Technically you are absolutely right. But, see I learnt one more thing "THE VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT" of having two systems and it is worth giving it a try.

Cheers
Sajid Balma
Hi djouallah
Thanks again for writing me back. I will give it a try.

Regards
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
you can try virtualbox, it is a free software

http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.4.0/VirtualBox_1.4.0_Win_x86.msi
once installed, you can installed whatever operating system you want, w95, windows xp or linux then you can run all you favorite application
Bijaya Bajracharya
User offline. Last seen 7 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
To toggle between different projects, just click Window and click the project you want.

And if it is between differnt layouts of the same project, it is just opening one that particular layout. And to get the exact same view as earlier, make sure that you have ticked for snapshot activity list (View/Layout/Options)
Pranab Kumar Deb
User offline. Last seen 2 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
hello bijaya what is the short cut key to toggle between two projects in P3
regards
deb
Bijaya Bajracharya
User offline. Last seen 7 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Within the same computer, whether you toggle between two layout or between two instances - it is the same effect. So your present purpose can easily be met saving two layout and toggling between them. And of course the same project can be opened simultaneously in different computers.
Sajid Balma
Hi djouallah
Thanks for taking time to reply. But, its a very new idea for me. Will you send me a link where I can download this virtualization software.

Thanks
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
sajid

if u really have to do that, u can run two instance of windows ( virtualisation software)
Sajid Balma
Thanks boys for your time.........

I know that u can open multiple projects in P3. But, I wanted to have two indepedent INSTANCES of P3 so that I can open same project on each instance and having two different layouts running at the same time. Say for example one with Bar Chart and other as PERT.

Anyways, I researched a bit and come to a conclusion that "You can not have multiple instances as it is an built-in character of how the program should behave when u execute the EXE file"
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 9 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
and u switch between them using the "Window" menu
Arvin Dayday
User offline. Last seen 16 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
you can’t open p3 in multiple instances on the same computer but you can open multiple projects as you want...