Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

views and allocation of resources

7 replies [Last post]
ersin namli
User offline. Last seen 11 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi, I want to learn if there are Task Usage and Resource Usage view’s in P3 like in MS Project. If there aren’t how can I allocate units to activities according to myself? For example I don’t want it make a uniform distribution I want to increase my resource quantity in activity’s first days but then I want to decrease the quantity. Thanks for your answers

Replies

Pranab Kumar Deb
User offline. Last seen 2 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Friend that will be Complex lets say, i mean i dont do like that any ways it might be your requirement, P3 by default considers each day as 8 hrs, so it matches ur project now for ur case u have to define the project as hourly project at the beginning, or utilities>copy existing project and change planning unit to hours.
Now ur Activity Lets Say = A, Duration is equal to 4 Days (32 hrs)
Now the worker = Resource will follow the general calendar (i.e. your project calendar) assigned to the resources.
For the engineer u have to define a calendar stating work 12 hours first day 14 hours second day 4 hour third day and 2 hours last day .
Hope it gives u desired results
Regards
deb
ersin namli
Hi, sorry but i couldn’t see minute detailing in this example. If you know MS Project you can easily make these adjustments in TASK USAGE VİEW i just wanted to know how it is happening in P3 and i understood that its not as practical as MS Project. Thanks for your answers
Bijaya Bajracharya
User offline. Last seen 7 years 52 weeks ago. Offline
The engineer working 12, 14, 4 and 2 hrs is still a poor example (as you have default 8 hrs/day). If you want your engineer to work 14 hr (6 hr over over time), you just write a memo to him. I do not see this sort of minute detailing will have any major impact on programme. If you still prefer to do minute calculations, P3 of course offers your resource to be divided in 10 parts - time is linear 10, 20, 30% ... of duration. You can then calculate what portion of the resource would be required by each of those 10% time interval.
ersin namli
Hi again and sorry about poor explanation let me explain it with a example assume that we have an activity and this activity has 2 different resources an engineer and a worker it takes total 4 days. My projects default working time is 8 hours a day so my engineer will work 32 hours in this activity as the same with my worker. But I actually want my engineer work 12 hours first day 14 hours second day 4 hour third day and 2 hours last day. Worker will keep working 8 hours a day. How can I do this with P3. Thanks for your interest
Pranab Kumar Deb
Dear Friend ,
Will answer to ur queries and hope that it meets ur requirements. In DATA/RESOURCE CURVE u DEFINE the type of resource utilization u will require/expect in the differnt activities/tasks so we can say it is just a dictionary of the EXPECTED RESOURCE USAGE , and then when u assign the resources (from the activity form F7 ) to the activities u select the kind of resource allocation curve u fore see for the activity.
This question is not clear to me can u elaborate?

regards
deb

ersin namli
Thanks for your answer I want to ask something more, i sow that from DATA/RESOURCE CURVE i can only change task’s whole resources but there may be many resources assigned to a task and there has to be a chance to change resources which i want. and another question is there other alternative except percentage adjustments of resource distribution.
Pranab Kumar Deb
Dear Ersin,
Press F7 or View>Activity Form , then press the resource Tab , in that Add(+) Resources 4th column is the Curve , from the curve u can select Front Loaded or u can make ur own from DATA/RESORCE CURVE BUTTON
HTH
Deb