Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Interproject Linking

2 replies [Last post]
Adam Lucas
User offline. Last seen 17 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello,

I have set up links between activities in projects with different planning units (day & hour) which should be OK. However, to schedule the projects you must set up each P3 schedule such that it recognises the interproject links.

To do this I am directed to go to the Schedule/Level dialog box which can be reached by going through the Tools menu and by selecting either Schedule or Level then choose Options. The interproject link options are included in the Advanced tab but I CANNOT SELECT the ADVANCED.

Doe anyone know why? Is there something that must be done beforehand or is just a fault with the software?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Adam.

Replies

Adam Lucas
User offline. Last seen 17 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Bijaya,

Thanks for your reply, but sorry mate you are on the wrong track. Projects from different project groups and different planning units can be linked through Interproject Relationships manager that runs outside of P3. You are correct however to say that you cannot combine project with different planning units in the same project group.

Bijaya Bajracharya
User offline. Last seen 8 years 4 hours ago. Offline
There a few confusing things in your question. You say you have set up links between activities in (different ?) projects. And that these projects use different planning units (one in day and other in hour). Is that correct? If so, you have already cracked the problem. but I think you are trying to set up link.

In P3 activities of one project can be linked to activities in other project only if both projects are subproject to the same master project. Just few days ago in other discusion, I have given a way how a number of projects can be brought together as subproject to one project. However please note it does not work if you have different planning units in different subprojects. The projects will still be connected, but you will find that all the subprojects use the same planning unit as that of the master project.

So you may need to do some sort of Global Change to adjust your Original Duration in the subproject before attempting to combine them.