Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

"PROJ environment variable is too long"

8 replies [Last post]
David Moses
User offline. Last seen 11 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Dear Pioneers;

Just now I received an error message "PROJ environment variable is too long" while I was trying to filter my project.I have almost 6500 activities.
What could be the reason? Is there any one who faced same problem before?

I also tried to export this file but I could not manage it because of this same error message...

Please help me.

Replies

Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
If I remember correctly, the maximum length of the string pointing to the location of the P3 files is 64 characters.

Wasnt so much of a problem, with 16-bit architecture where directory names where limited to 8 characters, but in 32/64 bit systems, people have got used to identifying directories with longer titles.

Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
OUTSTANDING IDEA Raja Izat Raja Ibrahim

PERHAPS THE ADM NUMBER ONE WILL PICK UP ON THIS.
AND MY GOD BUT YOU ARE CORRECT, MANY TIMES RESOLVED PROBLEMS IN P3 ONLY TO HAVE IT POP UP 3 YEARS LATER AND CANNOT REMEMBER HOW I SOLVED IT.
HA HA

CHEERS BILL
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi bill,
may be sombody have to compile all the problem / solution for P3, we can call "Pocket manual book for P3" ....somtimes its the same problem but the problem is to recall back the memory to reconize the problem is difficult
David Moses
Hi Bill Guthrie,

Thanks for your help....That is the solution I was looking for.

That is why I like this PLANNING PLANET !!!

Thanks to all.
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
VERY SIMPLE

HAD THIS LAST WEEK.

WHAT P3 IS SAYING IS THE LOCATION OF YOUR FILE IS TOO FAR DOWN .

EXAMPLE ITS LOCATED IN A DIRECTORY IN A NETWORK DRIVE
LIKE P?/PLANNING/TOOL/CURRENT WORK/ PRIMAVERA

THIS WAS MY PROBLEM
COPIED THE FILE TO C:/P3 PROJECTS AND PROBLEM GONE

HOPE THIS HELPS
BILL GUTHRIE
Raja Izat Raja Ib...

if u trust me, u can send your file i try to fix for you, if not confidential..miharbiz@yahoo.com
David Moses
Raja Izat Raja Ibrahim

I tried your solution.But It did not work. :(
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
David,
use PFXW.exe in p3win /p3 progs... or u have to recopy to another new file using impor export ...just guess...maybe this is because some of your layout or your setup is not apply to p3 programme... so the software become crazy. not joking... i have experiencing this problem before. One thing i know about this software ...its very sensitive and have to follow like sequencing.
good luck.. have a try