Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 Sdef Conversion

7 replies [Last post]
Serge Marashlian
User offline. Last seen 9 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello all

I am trying to find a software which converts or exports P3 V3.1 into SDEF format which is the type of ASCII file used by the corps of engineers.

The net does not provide any download link for such software even though i was able to find something called P3SDEF but no more info available.

Please it will be great if someone can guide me for a dowload link or explain an easy solution to convert to SDEF.

Thank you
Serge

Replies

Serge Marashlian
User offline. Last seen 9 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your effort in writting the script. I have used it and seems to work preety well.
Thank you again

Serge
Andrew Podolny
User offline. Last seen 40 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Here is the link for the SDEF file converter written by myself.
Please note that it’s not tested yet. It takes me 2 days to code all major routines.
However due to the SDEF format limitations there are some pitfalls in conversion (Budgeted Cost, etc). I’m planning to add the errors warning in the future release.
However your recommendation will be highly appreciated.

http://home.ripway.com/2005-3/268277/SDEF_setup.exe

Andrew
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Frank & Andrew,

Thankyou for your valuable explanation and providing the link.

Cheers!!!

Daya
Andrew Podolny
Frank Borcherdt
User offline. Last seen 7 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
P3SDEF was specifically written to output the required data in SDEF (Standard Data Exchange Format). Further information (including software download) is in the Primavera Knowledge Base if you search for SDEF.

Dayanidhi….the US Corp of Army Engineers developed the format so that they can accept PM data from any software that outputs data in this format. The advantage to them is that they can deal with many organizations using various software tools and analyze and exchange the data electronically. The advantage to the user is that that can submit (and hopefully win) a complying bid.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
I would be happy to know if someone explains the advantage of SDEF format.
Andrew Podolny
Hello, Serge.

Since SDEF format is well specified it’s not a very serious problem to write a converter in any language (I prefer VB/VBA because of simplicity). I’ll try to write this program by myself when time permits.
Cheers, Andrew