Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 Graphics

16 replies [Last post]
Ed Dahl
User offline. Last seen 20 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does anyone have any tips or a reference source for the using graphics features (or lack of features) of P3?

I’m interested in sending schedules via email to people who don’t have P3 on their machines nor are they probably interested in all the details that the complete file would provide. I just want to send simple bar/gantt charts.

The features I’ve tried either produce a HTML file with a very small view or a fuzzy jpeg file. Posting files to a web page would be a good option to use for what I’m trying to do.

Any ideas?

Replies

Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Eric,

I’ve gone through your article. I can’t see any .wmf file option to save graphics in p3 version 3.0. i’ve only jpg, png. Also the output quality is not good even saving the file in higher resolution. anyhow your presentation is fine.

Regards

Daya
Eric Chou
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
I am confused with the subjects now. Anyway, if you want to "insert" P3 graphic to other documents. Here is the write-up by myself regarding "How to insert P3 schedule Graphic into the word software". This is a step-by-step instruction. Please review for your reference.

Of course, if you looking for a paperless replacement for paper P3 schedule reports, Adobe Acrobat is the best solution. I have no problems using P3 with Adobe Acrobat Pro version 6.0 (actually, it is working fine with version 5.0 too) except for any size paper larger than 11"X17". (This can be a different topic, see below)

Acrobat Pro Version 6.0 claims that the program can print to the larger size paper such as E size paper. However, I can only get them to print up to 11"X17" size.

Go to the
http://www.htcprojectcontrols.com/SB004.pdf

Eric Chou, PE
HTC Project Controls, Inc.
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Download P3 service pack 3 (for v3.0) or pack 2 (for v3.1) from Primavera knowledgebase will help.
btw, use PS printer driver to create a print file and let Distiller to do the converison work.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
The workaround as followings:-
1. Install any HP PostScript printer drvier.
2. Use this driver print the output to a file.
3. Use Adobe Distiller convert the newly create file to PDF format.
Dinesh Kumar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All,

Try to use Adobe Acrobat Professional latest version, it provides not only creating capability with good resolution and also allows user to include comments and can highlight areas etc, Good stuff.There is a trial version on Adobe web site.

Regards

Dinesh
Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
If You go in primavera web page download service pack,I do not remember if the number one or two should be the one You are looking for to solve the problem with Acrbat distiller.

Clive Hibberd
User offline. Last seen 11 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Does anyone have a fix for a problem we are having trying to print to Adobe Acrobat Distiller? When trying to print to the Distiller, P3 locks out and we get an error message which refers to the 16 bit system timing out. In the past we have had a patch from Primavera which fixed the problem short-term but it has reappeared with a vengence.
Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
If You have a company web page You can use the primavera tools to make a simple web page with Your schedule, just the bar chart and if the need few reports.
You spend half hour to built it up, and few minutes every time You need to up-date.
I think is one of the best and economical solution.
As You do not oblige Your company to buy any other software.
It also good for the company have a summary of the projects in their secure internt web page.
Also because, if Pdf writer is not an authorised software for Your company, I do not know Your company IT policy, but sometimes before to have installed on Your working Pc a software take long as the It must test it!
MK TSE
I always do what Bernard’s stated, dump the screen by Alt-PrtSc.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
The PDF writer is very similar to the Acrobat Writer. You need to select it as the printer when printing to generate the .PDF. I’m not sure what you meant by #4 with saving and renaming. You should not have to rename anything.

You can also try effecting a screen capture (which you can paste in Paint, Word, etc.) by pressing "Alt-Print Screen". This should copy the top level window into the clipboard.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems - eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
MK TSE
For your point 1 and 2, it is true. That’s why I don’t use it.
For Acrobat Writer, if the output is readable, that’s fine. Remember, higher resolution (which can be achieved by adjust the setting in Acrobat) will result large file size PDF and no good to email distribution. We need to aware email size and allowed attachment size. They are various to each email system.
Ed Dahl
User offline. Last seen 20 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for the replies, but I’ve had problems with the methods suggested.

1. I’ve used the copy & paste to another program, but the "photo" option in P3 only copies a part of what is visible on the screen - not the whole schedule.
2. I’ve saved to a metalfile - the resolution of the image is very bad.
3. I’ve used Acrobat Writer to create a .pdf file - again poor resolution.
4. I downloaded the suggested pdf driver. I can get P3 to save to file. I changed the extention to .pdf. It creates a pdf file but Acrobat won’t open it.
MK TSE
I use this method previously. But I find that the output is not same as displayed. Further, the WMF can be edited by ungroup the object. Someone may updated the image accidentally.
Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Try to save as metafile then paste to MS powerpoint , word , excel etc...
MK TSE
Since my organization prohabit us to use any un-approved software, we use Adobe Acrobat to prepare a PDF, which have same output as Bernard’s suggest.
But I use more quick way, when just send out for comment, especially just for discussion, I just copy screen and paste on Word or Powerpoint. The responser can add more annotation or text box or mark up on the graphic. Quick and simple.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Try printing to a .PDF file. There is a freeware .PDF printer driver available at http://www.pdf995.com/.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems - eTaskMaker Project Planning Software