Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to show Progress using % only - P3

3 replies [Last post]
Samantha McCulloch
User offline. Last seen 7 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
I am relatively new to planning and have only been exposed to EV/progress measurement using manhours and/or cost. Currently I’m working on a project that is not utilising either.
Is there a way for me to measure progress, planned/actual, using only the percent complete of an activity?
Also how do I create a ES Vs LS S-Curve....is it possible without manhours/cost?

I would also like to thank eveyone for their advice on previous issues I’ve had....I’ve never had to create a ’new thread’ before as someone has always asked my questionadn answered it....keep up the good communications :)

Replies

Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Yes you can using duration.you can do progressing this way:
(Assuming that you have set target sch.)
1. Activity wise :

Create a copy of your Target sch from that sch you can estimate % prog for a certain date, using update progress menu. And making this as your Target sch you can compare SCH % Prog Vs Actual % Prog.

2. Progress for the overall project :

1st option :: you can summarize by going to organize then ....

2nd option is to create resource and assign duration = BQ. to generate s-curve etc, like using cost , mandays , manhour.

More power
wilfred datinguinoo
User offline. Last seen 17 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Samantha,

We are on the same situation our project before was run
by resource/units due to very busy people my manager
cannot give me the manhours for the activity added. I’ved
already done what Mr. Paul had advise you and working
and getting %progress based on duration is not accurate.

Just sharing the experience

Regards,

wilfres
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
You will need some sort of parameter to measure progress against and if you do not have hours or costs there are two options I am aware off.

1. Use % Complete of the Duration. This is not very accurate as Durations do not usually represent the value of the work. In P3 you will need to select the option Tools, Options, Summarization..., Duration to make the summary band calculate correctly.

2. The better way is to assign Weighting to each activity. It is usual to make the weight of all the activities add up to a round figure such as 100, 1,000 or 10,000 and they become easier to read. A resource is assigned to each activity say using either the costs or units to represent the task apportioned Weight. The weight is usually calculated from an estimate and taking the percentage value of each activity. Again in P3 you will need to select the option Tools, Options, Summarization..., and select the Costs or Units option to match the resource you entered to make the summary band calculate correctly. I tend to use costs as this field has some built in Earned Value fields not available to the Units field and is not zeroed out when a remaining duration is set to zero. You will need to understand the Auto Cost Rules for the Weighting to be automatically updated from the % Complete when you status the project.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers
www.eh.com.au