Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Free float bar

4 replies [Last post]
Joe Mansour
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello planners.

Is there a way to show the free float bar in P3. I need to show the earliest date an activity can start and the latest date it must finish without affecting the successor activities.

Joe

Replies

Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
1. Set a new Custom Data Item to Hold the Finish Date of the Free Float Bar. In this case, we’ll Use:

Name = FFBR
Type = F
Length = 7
Description = Free Float Bar

2. Run this statement in a Global Change to calculate the value of FFBR:

&TMP EQ EF + FFL
FFBR EQ &TMP -1

3. Create a new bar:
Start Point = Early Finish
End Point = Free Float Bar (the one we created in Step 1 and manipulated using Global Change in Step 2)
Bar = Dotted Line

Modify Endpoints and Select FFBR (found at the bottom under "Custom data item shapes and colors") Change the shape to a circle and give it a green color. Or whatever shape and color you prefer.

4. Exit it and you’re done! If you turn on the Early Bar, Total Float Bar and Free Float Bar, then you’ll see all three.

I tried this. It works. I hope it works for you, too.

Jorge
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
However, using Custom Data Items and Excel, it would be possible to create a custom bar
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline
In P3 the total float and free float value are available as columns. These are calculated on the predecessor calendar, as is lag.

A bar from the early finish to late finish is by definition the Total Float, and may be created in P3.

A bar from the early finish of an activity to the earliest early start of all successors is the Free Float. This field is NOT available as a standard field in the P3 Bars form and therefore is not a standard option.

A Free float bar is available in SureTrak and I use SureTrak when I am required to produce this bar.

I also recommend any one who has P3 should also have SureTrak as it has a number of good features not available in P3.

Regards
Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris
Jeffrey Huneycutt
User offline. Last seen 3 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Assuming I understand you correctly...all you need to do is select bar under the format heading and add a bar with the parameters of early start and late finish.

Jeff