Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Company specific scheduling handbook as a Rough guideline makes Sense ?

5 replies [Last post]
Floris Gering
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
I Work as a scheduler for an asset owner in the chemical industry and within our team we deal exclusively with the preparation, planning and scheduling of turnarounds for different factory sites. Due to a lack of schedulers, often a scheduler is hired from an external contractor. We, as an asset owner internal team, would like to setup a sort of company specific scheduling handbook, which should serve As a rough guideline for all schedulers working on turnaround projects, so they are more or less forced to work in the same style. Is this an idea that makes sense ? Does somebody have an example of such a handbook for me ? What is the level of detail that makes sense to describe and oblige schedulers to ? (Layout setup, Reports, amount of milestones or other technical scheduling stuff or keep it as generalized as possible so the scheduler has an amount of freedom he can work in ?) I’m curious about your experiences or thoughts regarding this topic.

Replies

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 59 min ago. Offline
Groups: None

Floris,

I am now 70, so I have written a few of these. One I wrote nearly all of, for a major UK contractor, ran to 300 pages. Not just the key scheduling decisions like WBS and other codes, but how to manage the interfaces with timesheets and costing, load resources from external estimating systems, produce the invoice back-up reports. But I ran my own business for years, so I was producing that material for clients, who have the copyright. So, I can’t send you a copy.

That every company that thinks they do project management, does not have a company specific manual to give to a new scheduler is clearly mad. Being aware of this for the last thirty years has not dulled my sense of incredulity. How can you think you are doing project management without a plan?

And while I am on my high horse, when you have squeezed costs to the bone, how do you make more money? Plan the work better. I've been banging that drum for 40 years. We are a profit centre, anyone listening?

23:30 hrs and I'm wide awake now.  I'll raid the fridge.

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 59 min ago. Offline
Groups: None

Floris,

I am now 70, so I have written a few of these. One I wrote nearly all of, for a major UK contractor, ran to 300 pages. Not just the key scheduling decisions like WBS and other codes, but how to manage the interfaces with timesheets and costing, load resources from external estimating systems, produce the invoice back-up reports. But I ran my own business for years, so I was producing that material for clients, who have the copyright. So, I can’t send you a copy.

That every company that thinks they do project management, does not have a company specific manual to give to a new scheduler is clearly mad. Being aware of this for the last thirty years has not dulled my sense of incredulity. How can you think you are doing project management without a plan?

And while I am on my high horse, when you have squeezed costs to the bone, how do you make more money? Plan the work better. I've been banging that drum for 40 years. We are a profit centre, anyone listening?

23:30 hrs and I'm wide awake now.  I'll raid the fridge.

Floris Gering

Does nobody has experience with starting as a scheduler for a project where you receive a "company schedule guideline" to which you have to adhere ?

Floris Gering

Double post.

Floris Gering
Anybody ?