Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MPX File Import to P6 v17.12 Issue

4 replies [Last post]
Jesse OBrien
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I'm having an issue importing mpx files from MS Project into Primavera P6 v 17.12.

In terms of the msp file, I've ensured there are no blank rows and that there is no logic or resources loaded against summary tasks. The calendar assinged to the project is standard. I then use the MPPToMPX file convertor to convert the file from .mpp format to .mpx format, ensuring the 'process resource calendar exceptions' check box is selected. No issues so far.

I then go through the standard import process:

• Select Microsoft Project (MPX) Import Format
  • Import Type - Project
  • Files to Import - I select the MPX file, create new project and import to location.
  • Template - I use a standard template that keeps all existing global data types and updates all project data types, with all other settings as default

The import process progresses until I get a notification 'Calendar record was already added by another user. The other user's data will be used'. I have had that before and have had no further issues with the import after clicking 'ok'.

I then get an application event error msg:

Image preview

After selecting exit, I then receive a second error message:

Image preview

I've checked the calendar that already exists and it's identical to what I'm trying to import. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

Replies

Jesse OBrien

Hi Santosh,

Thank you - I have recommended this already but the company I work for are reluctant to implement it.

Regards

Jesse OBrien

Hi Santosh,

Thank you - I have recommended this already but the company I work for are reluctant to implement it.

Regards

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 day 13 hours ago. Offline

Have a look at the Utility called XerTransfer. The time and effort it saves you in coverting P6<>MSP is well worth the price paid for it.

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 1 week 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Jesse,

I cannot see the image so I'm guessing in here. Can you check the Resources Sheet if no resources define or added because it has it's own calendar. Make sure you deleted all the resouces define in Resources Sheet even it is not assigned on task. Logic should not be a problem and shall exist. Another issue that you may encounter is the long file name of MS Project (MPP). This need to be shorten to P6 Project ID length define on P6 settings. WBS and Task Description shall not be more than 100 characters and No logic assign on WBS. Once all of these are clear, convert to MPX and try again if the error still exist.