Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Developing Schedule for Construction of Cement plant using Primavera P6

3 replies [Last post]
Abdel Moniem
User offline. Last seen 5 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am Student and I am currently Project management course we are required to obtain data of a chemical plant and perform both time and cost management so I used the data from the link below 

http://c-pmt.weebly.com/uploads/4/0/1/7/4017805/final_assignment_sample.pdf

I am new to Primavera P6 use I am writing to ask if I created the WBS, activity network and Gantt chart appropriately? I first created a WBS similar to the WBS on page 26  the link I provided. Then I pressed activities I start adding the activities again as in the WBS I created, then related the activities to one another as it appears on page 27. I set all the relations as Finish-Start but I don't know if this right or not. How can I show the float on each activity in the activity network. I added the duration of each activity in the original duration section. 

wbs_1.png
activities_11.png

Replies

Abdel Moniem

By float I meant the amount of time a task can be delayed without affecting the project completion date. I feel like drawing a PERT diagram for 30 activities is rather tedious.

Abdel Moniem

I am a Chemical Engineering student, I know how to apply the basic scheduling tools in a problem. But, for this project, I am implementing these "textbook" methods using a software and my professor did not teach us how to use Primavera  P6. I am not sure if my work is correct in accordance with the data provided in the link (to construct a cement plant).

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
I'm not a professor, but if I were so, I would never require my students to do a job that even professional engineers might find it difficult to work out with, properly. I don't know what is your major as a student, so I would suggest that you start learning first the basic of project or construction management from knowing how to identify the scope or activities and how to estimate or calculate quantities. Floats are dependent or determined by activity-logics or relationships. Please note however that there are several types of floats, and others may call it differently, or some have even invented some so-called "float" without any definite or specific mathematical calculations. However, the basic is CPM or critical path method, where you must learn first how to calculate forward pass and backward pass. Others use arrow diagrams and PERT (Project Evaluation Review Technique), but of course all of which can be easily done using a software. Nevertheless, if you don't know the basic or the purposes of which, then your software can become useless. Hope this helps.