Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 R8.4 Web v Client Server Question

3 replies [Last post]
Jon Davis
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

Question for some of you gurus out there which I am struggling to get my head around.

I am currently configuring P6 web for specific users across the business so they can view the data we enter via the client server.  Slow going as I am pretty much teaching myself as I go but the first stumbling block I have came across is the way the web views units, more specifically, the way it allocates activities by months.  One of the outputs I produce from P6 client server is a view of labour units by month by role.  In the client server I have my user preferences for time-distributed data set to day, in the web this option is unavailable with week being the lowest denominator.  The output of this results in the following

I have an activity starting Monday 3rd January 2018 representing 4.75 labour units.  If I view the monthly role usage in client server these hours appear in January (see 1st screen dump below) which in my opinion is correct.  If I view the same data in the web the labour units appear in December 2017 (see 2nd screen dump below) as the working week starts Sunday December 31st.  Appreciate this is a small value but when I am viewing the company as a whole I have 1000+ labour units variance between my views in Client Server and Web which is frustrating.

I have spent numerous hours trawling through settings in the web but cannot find a workaround or even know if its possible due to the option to have time ditributed data down to day not available, whats people thoughts on this as for me if something starts in January and you view your data by month they should align surely ?????

Any help, advice or just general comments appreciated

Regards

Jon

p6_client-server.jpg

p6_web.jpg

Replies

Jon Davis
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Yep, all Projects get summarized overnight

Cheers

Jon