Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Temporary itms in the schedule

6 replies [Last post]
Ahmet Tuter
User offline. Last seen 2 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

What is your practie to show temporary items in the schedule, such as setting or dismantling a crane, or formwork, or scaffolding etc.. I mean these are not part of the main project. So you can not assign them any resource or allocate time to them for proper earned value calculations right? But at the same time they are necessary for the main work to proceed. So do you track those separately or if you insert in the main schedule, how do you deal with this?

Replies

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Ahmet,

Can you complete the project without these activities?

If the answer to the above question is No, then I would show these in the schedule.

I would also allocate resource & duration to these activities.

Whilst they may not be part of the main project, if they are not completed then all the activities that require these temporary activities cannot happen & could end up affecting project delivery. Similarly if they are not resourced correctly, then they will not be in place for when they are required.

Steven

MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

For a working level time schedule, I include all temp works task onto the network since it is part of scope, especially it is on critial path (means if temp work for critical activity execution).

To be included in manhour calculation or other calculations, all depend what should be included for that calculation purpose, so it is case depend.

Bialla Rafiq
User offline. Last seen 6 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mr Zoltan I need some advice on below scenario We have project having milestones One of the Milestone is installation works, we have an extension of time earlier due to employer delays. Currently that work supposed to be finish in June, 2017 however we unable to complete the works by the extended date of the milestone. As of October, 17 - we are still working on milestone. In August - employer gave us access to one of the sub milestone activities which supposed to be earlier as per approved baseline programme. And this work in progress parallel to our works which we supposed to finish but not completed. Shall the employer delay are concurrent delays in this above case. Any case law reference document will be much appreciated. Thanks Bilal Rafiq
Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

if you awant to track direct labor manhours then also apply manhours to teh scaffolding removal 

Ahmet Tuter
User offline. Last seen 2 years 48 weeks ago. Offline

i understand you, about how you explain treating them as real activities but then you also say you do not assign any manhours to them, so this would not confuse all calculations? i mean you have an activity that has duration, but no manhours then. so in the schedule for example they wil show in critical path, but they will not have any manhours. will this not confuse everything?

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

incorrect these all require direct labor manhors. Setting a crane is a predecessor to the activity that is using the crane, dismantling a crane is a prdecessor to the work area where that crane was setting. formwork is part of form, rebar and pour you cant pour any concrete with out forming something for the concrete to go into. Scaffolding is a precedessor to the block work or wahtever you need the scaffolding for. I would treat them as real activities as far as earned value for the setting or dismantling  crane I would not apply any manhours to this activity becasue there is not TRUE production factor. Setting formwork absoulty track with manhours for your EV and I would put the scaffolding into the same class as the crane.