Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Re-baselining in MS Project 2010

1 reply [Last post]
Tor Christian Skauge
User offline. Last seen 6 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi, all.

I have moved from Primavera P6 to MS Project 2010.

Now I am in the process of rebaselining my plan in MSP, but I am facing a challenge:

I want the Actual Cost up to this point to be the starting point of the new Progress Curve (Cost based), but this is not so easy for me.

I have set the Status Date to the correct date (in few days into the future), and run the "Reschedule uncompleted work to start after: <Status Date>".

I proceed to analyse the Task Usage View with respect to Cumulative Cost, and I find that there is deviation between the Actual Cost and the Cumulative Cost. Upon further analysis I find that the deviation starts at the same time as one of my active tasks. It seems that the new Cumulative Cost is already taking competed work of the active tasks into consideration.

How do I proceed so that my Cumulative Cost (at Status Date) is the same as the Actual Cost (at Status Date)?

I have no resources assigned and I use "Physical % Complete" as Earned Value Method.

It's worth to mention that I am not that experienced with MS Project 2010, but I need to learn this.

Replies

MPUG Global
User offline. Last seen 6 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

Here are some Microsoft Project baselining best practices that may be helpful to you:  Microsoft Project Baselining Best Practices