Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Strange Case of Total Float

2 replies [Last post]
Binas Mohamed
User offline. Last seen 8 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

I started this thread to discuss a avery strange case of total float i encountered..

I had prepared a microprogram for a small section of work which I had checked all links,dates and had the correct finish date as planned with a total float of 0.

Some activities were in progrss and had actuals.I exported this project and send it to the client as well.

I assigned it a baseline and started updating weekly.

Two weeks later,I had to add an activity to the baseline microprogram.I imported it back and when I scheduled it,it shows a negative total float of -6!!

The data date is same as before and I checked the calendar as well.

Im facing this issue for the first and can't seem to find a proper solution;any advice will be helpful

Thanks in advance

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

These are few things in your post that jump out at me.

First you say that "I have assigned it a baseline and started updating weekly". yet you say "The data date is same as before and I checked the calendar as well".

If you are updating this weekly then the data date should change each week to reflect the date thru which progress is for that particular week.  

Secondly you say that "Two weeks later,I had to add an activity to the baseline microprogram.I imported it back and when I scheduled it,it shows a negative total float of -6!!"

Why would you add a new activity into the baseline and not teh current schedule. 

Also you added an activity this could be on the critical path causing the negative float of -6. 

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 24 min ago. Offline

Check for out-of-sequence progress after making sure there are no external links, no activity date constraints, no project level finish constraint.

Depending on your settings out-of-sequence can be identified by the activity being split with progress before DD and remaining duration some time after DD.

Good Luck