Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Duration increase impacts my budgeted quantities

4 replies [Last post]
Luke Charet
User offline. Last seen 10 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I am having some issues with budgeted qtys/actual qtys/ remaining qtys.

My example is a simple one, I have an activity - Open Drain Lining. I have added a material resource and assigned a total qty of 710sqm. The task itself has now started and is now expected to take 2x a long. This is were my problem kicks in, my budgeted qty now increases and the actual/remainig units are out of whack. I have tried several activity types to no avail. I would love the budgeted qty to remain the same and the actual/remaining units total the budgeted qty no matter how long or short the activity duration is.

What I would like to see is even if the lining took 2 years it is still 710 and the remaining/actual is a product of the 710 based on % duraiton complete. This is playing having with my actuals complete and hence throwing out my % complete, overall progress.

Thanks heaps, just when you think you have P6 nailed you get more issues.

Replies

Christopher Hall
User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Luke, good to hear its sorted.

Luke Charet

Thanks Chris, works great. Im liking this planning planet, its an uphill battle learning yourself

Luke Charet

Thanks Chris, works great. Im liking this planning planet, its an uphill battle learning yourself

Christopher Hall
User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Luke, sounds like the things to check are;

• duration type = fixed duration & units,
  • drive activity dates = unticked,
  • Option to 'recalculate acutals & cost when % complete changes' is ticked for project defaults under the resources assignments heading in the project / calculation tabs.

That should do it.  You'll need to re-work any activities you've started statussing after making the above changes.