Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Approval Period Help

7 replies [Last post]
Rhys Parry
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have an activity that when it finishes I allow 2 weeks approval until I then start my other activity below this.

How do i go about adding a 2 week approval period as I thought I just needed to add a constriant within my next activity saying start on or after 2 weeks after the end of the first activity in my plan.

My dates are from 20th Febuary 2012 untill 2nd march 2012.

Hope you can help!

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Rhys

A start on or after flag is OK for activity nr 1 in a programme.

It seem your approvals are already late - better start getting some notices in.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rhys Parry

Thanks for the help Guys

Yea sorry I didnt mention what software I am using always forget to do so. (It is Primavera P6)

I took all constraints off my plan and then I added an Approval Period activity which is 2 weeks, then I put one constraint on my 1st activity of the plan to start on or after 1st April even though the 2 week approval period finishes on 17th March.

Thanks

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Rhys,

Assuming you are using P6 (always best to mentino the software you are using when asking how to do something like this), you can mass-delete constraints by inserting the column "Primary Constraint", and using the "fill down" option.

Cheers,

G

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 5 days 14 hours ago. Offline

I agree with Mike – make the approval an activity and it is in the schedule for monitoring and reporting.  Lags simply create a space with no purpose; constraints are a total disaster as soon as anything changes for any reason. By highlighting the work of ‘approval’ you make it an important part of the overall progress of work.

This is the approach adopted in the Guide to Good Practice in the Management of Time in Complex Projects, see: http://au.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-144433493X.html

Rhys Parry

How do I get rid of all constraints within my Project plan as I have over 500 activities and alot of them have constraints on.

I dont want to have to fish out each individual activity and change it to none.

Thanks

Rhys Parry

Ok thanks for that Mike

My plan starts off with the Start milestone > first activity > 2 week Approval Period > next activity. The only thing is after the 2 weeks it only brings the date to the 19th March and the Activity after this doesnt start until 1st April.

On the Approval period activity is that just a task dependant type and the predeccessor is the 1st activity and successor is the next acitvity (1st April).

I have constraints from the MSP that I imported in from a client and these stayed within my plan as Start on or After. Shall I get rid of all constraints within my Plan as when I Data Date this all the dates change from the previous plan even though when you constraint them to start on a specific date so it stays fixed it still changes.

Thanks

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Rhys

The simplest way is to add an activity of 2 weeks duration called Approval Period and link it FS tp predecessor and successor.

That way you can monitor progress on the approval.

My advice is Never - Ever add constraints to a programme - and I mean Not Ever.

Best regards

Mike Testro