Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

A Good Planner?

3 replies [Last post]
Mia Ng
User offline. Last seen 3 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Dear all,

I have about 3 years working as planner/programmer so compare with a lot of you here, there are still alot of things for me to learn from you guys. One thing that struck me the most is how to become a good planner? I guess it's not (just) about proficient with P6, Micorsoft Project, Tilos and so on, but knowing what to do, what/who to ask, what questions, list of actions, etc. So far I have seen myself (and my boss see me) as a good programmer as I know (and get training on) almost every project management software, but my goal is to be a good planner, not just a good programmer. Any advise guys?

Replies

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Mia,

First of all we need to accept the fact that Construction is business and the bottom line is profit. As a planner, we need to produce a viable plan or programme including the resources required based on what we priced during the tender stage. You need to talk to and in synch with the construction team and find out how they plan to build the project (methodology). It is up to us (planners) to put together a viable programme and advise them the basis and assumptions we made in the programme such as production rates they need to achieve, schedule risks, project constriants, interface, critical path, etc.

In addition, a good planner must understand the process, the sequence and resources required to finish a certain task and experience in my opinion is our best teacher. However, having said that we also need to accept the fact that the construction industry covers a a very wide area and learning the whole damn thing may take a lifetime so my philosophy is "dont be afraid to ask questions"

keep on planning!

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Haitham

Excellent advice - a planner has to know how to build it before he can plan it.

Mia - Why not be quite radical and work in the concrete gang for month - you will learn more about the construction process than from any books.

Apart from that I guarantee you will have a great time.

Best regards

Mike Testro.

Haitham Khaireldin
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Go to site a LOT. Dont just sit in the office behind your screen. try to follow the progress on site and see what the problems/difficulties happening and see how the project manager/construction manager is handling them.