Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Lost hour

6 replies [Last post]
tasnim yusoff
User offline. Last seen 8 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi can anyone suggest how to monitor works on site by hours? Im using Primavera version 6.7.

Example : inside primavera program we plan to work for 12 hours (7pm to 7am) but actual at site we only can access site in

various hours. sometime we only can work from 8-10 hours per day. Now i need to monitor lost hours on daily

basis. How to show da impact of those 3 or for hours lost time in primavera? If i calculate manually i know how

many days we entittle for. But i dont have any idea on how to monitor ir at primavers? or exc el is da best way

to monitor it?

Hopefully yo get feedback soon

Thank you,

Taz

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 30 min ago. Offline

Tasnim,

Start by creating a baseline without the calendar exceptions so you can compare predicted schedule without idle hours to a schedule with idle hours (calendar exceptions).

Then make sure of the following:

1. That you created the calendar exceptions.

2. That you assigned the exceptions to your calendars.

3. That you assigned the appropriate calendars to your resources.

You shall be able to see non-work hours in your histograms if you set the scale to hours, on your cumulative curves of resource-hours non-work hours will be represented by a horizontal segment.

In the following example, you will observe two idle hours on 10/18/2010 from 10:00 to 12:00, only by going into such small scale you will be able to observe per hour changes. FYI I am using 10 units of resource A, so each work hour yields 10 resource hours.

non-work hours diagram

Again, you shall adapt this to P6, I do not believe it shall be a problem, juts a different approach in the presentation of your diagrams.

To export the data to Excel in my software I can create a tabular report for man-hours per hour and by clicking on an Excel icon we export the table, for P6 I do not know. As you can see hous 10 and 11 are empty because they are idle or non work hours.

non work hours table

Remember Excel is limited to a certain number of columns, unless you limit your reports to within this limit you will have to either transpose the table or use other file format like the universal CSV (coma separated values).

Regards,

Rafael

tasnim yusoff

Hi.

Tq for the reply but i cant understand how we can monitor per hours for daily monitoring.

Can u explain how to get data from primavera and export it to excel so i can generate s-curve from the data.

I dont have cost in my program. i only have manpower loading in my program.

I tubulate primavera manpower resource into days so i can know how many workers i need per day but i still cant figure out how to monitor everyday by hours and update it to see the impact to the curve.

Thank you

tasnim yusoff

Hi.

Tq for the reply but i cant understand how we can monitor per hours for daily monitoring.

Can u explain how to get data from primavera and export it to excel so i can generate s-curve from the data.

I dont have cost in my program. i only have manpower loading in my program.

I tubulate primavera manpower resource into days so i can know how many workers i need per day but i still cant figure out how to monitor everyday by hours and update it to see the impact to the curve.

Thank you

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 30 min ago. Offline

Tasnim,

It shall be as easy as 1-2-3.

Every new non-work hour or period is a calendar exception. After posting your calendar exceptions these will be taken into consideration in your schedule calculations, and therefore on your Time Impact schedules as well as on Update Schedules.

A simple display of your calendars exceptions in a tabular report or perhaps even a table available on the screen at a click of the mouse shall do it, if not then create a tabular report for these purposes. With a simple formula you can have the duration in hours displayed as per following illustration. If your software has already the formula built in, even better.

Calendar exceptions

Just adapt the above to your software; what you are asking is a frequent question you will have to answer repeatedly.

Best regards,

Rafael

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

Further to my comment, You actually have a legitimate claim since these hours are standy period. I think they can stand on their own as long as you have a signed document.

Best regards,

Daniel

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

First of all you need to track your working hours on site by keeping a log of standby period and have it signed by the Engineer'e representative on site. You can use these documents when you want to claim for EOT. You can add all the standby hours and divide it by your standard working time and then enter it as an event (standby period no of days) in P3. You need to enter this event on impacted activities so you would know whether you have a ligitimate claim. 

Best regards,

Daniel