Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Schedule analysis & Time impact analysis

8 replies [Last post]
Naveen Paladugu
User offline. Last seen 7 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

I have read somewhere about schedule analysis & Time impact analysis.Can anyone explain what are those and How & when to perform them on a schedule and  advantages of  them.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 20 min ago. Offline
praveen verma
User offline. Last seen 8 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

can anyone explaim me in details step for prepating time impact analyis !! 

Naveen Paladugu

Thank you Mike for your informative reply. It made my concepts clear. I have been using it with out knowing the name of it. Could please provide any documents/files reg. that. I am happy to hear from you.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Naveen

Daniel has given you a good explanation regarding time impact analysis but it is not that simple.

You should only use time impact analysis for work in progress.

If something has happened to hold up the work you need to put in a task that represents the delay period.

Save the file under a new name.

You should then link the delay to the delayed activities and reschedule to see what happens to the end date.

The method only works if you have a fully detailed bottom up programme that responds realistically to impacted events.

If your programme is full of FF SS Links - lead lags - constraints etc then you will get a misleading response.

Remember that the result is always theoretical and will change as circumstances change.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Naveen Paladugu

That means we can make use of time impact analysis when we seek EOT, right?. got it. Thanks a lot for your valuable information

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Naveen,

Okay let me explain further, the term "Time Impact Analysis" means you are assessing or analysing the impact of a certain activity or event and how it affects the programme, especially your contractual critical dates and/or completion dates. These are normally used to see the impact of change orders or variations or any unforseen event which caused a delay.

What if analysis are more like a programme study or programme analysis of various scenarios, so it helps the managment to decide and select the best option.

Best regards,

Naveen Paladugu

Thank you for your reply. I am satisfied with your reply reg. schedule analysis but for time impact analysis, could you explain in what situations we use it and how to perform (means can we do it through what-if analysis??)

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Schedule analysis could just be about anything in the programme, a thorough schedule analysis would mean reviewing the following:

Logic and sequence of works

Duration and produciton rates

Quantities

Project contraints

Procurement and delivery of long lead items

Calendar usage

critical path

Milestones and Key Dates

On the other hand, "time impact analysis" nornally talks about an event or group of events and their impact or effect on the programme especially on critical key dates.