Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

wt % age @ smry level by USER DEFINED FIELD

3 replies [Last post]
AHMED HASSAN
User offline. Last seen 8 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear All

I want to calculate weighted %complete of cost at summary level....when i define the user defined field and enter the criterea in the global change system is calculating individual activity %-ages but then adding them all on the summary level which is exceeding 100%......

kindly advice what options should i use to get weighted %ages at the summary level

Regards,

Ahmed

Replies

Safak Vural
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Dear Mr Ahmed,

I belive you are using P3. There is no way to subtotal a custom defined value as a weight in a project.

My humble suggestion will be:

-Add cost % as resources with a proce as "1"
-Add a custom data item for % also.
-Use Global Change for transferring value from resource to custom data item.
-Use "Resource/Cost Percent Complete" as a column in the layout in order to have correct subtotal values of % in group or project totals.

Please be carefull about decimal restrictions of P3 (1 decimal for % but 2 decimals for "Custom data items - precision" or "resources". SO it will be healthy to use only 1 decimal in resource (or use resource as will sum up 1 million units ).

You can create more accurate reports in Tools-Graphic Reports-... but i dont believe it is a good manhour waste in order to get layouts that are visually crap and requires so much attention.

Regards,

Safak
AHMED HASSAN
User offline. Last seen 8 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mr. R. Catalan,

Really gr8ful for ur advice & time.

This option I already know I just want to do the same by using the user-defined fields for many other calculations. I have been able to do so but I am not getting the summary at the top as the system is giving simply the addition of all the values under the perticular head.

I will really appreciate if someone could provide me with the solution.

Thanks

Ahmed
R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 7 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Ahmed,

Cost load your schedule. Percent complete and costs (both planned and earned) are automatically shown after cost-loading the schedule.

Best regards,
R. Catalan