Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

wt % age @ smry level by USER DEFINED FIELD

3 replies [Last post]
AHMED HASSAN
User offline. Last seen 12 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear All

I want to calculate weighted %complete of cost at summary level....when i define the user defined field and enter the criterea in the global change system is calculating individual activity %-ages but then adding them all on the summary level which is exceeding 100%......

kindly advice what options should i use to get weighted %ages at the summary level

Regards,

Ahmed

Replies

Safak Vural
User offline. Last seen 3 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mr Ahmed,

I belive you are using P3. There is no way to subtotal a custom defined value as a weight in a project.

My humble suggestion will be:

-Add cost % as resources with a proce as "1"
-Add a custom data item for % also.
-Use Global Change for transferring value from resource to custom data item.
-Use "Resource/Cost Percent Complete" as a column in the layout in order to have correct subtotal values of % in group or project totals.

Please be carefull about decimal restrictions of P3 (1 decimal for % but 2 decimals for "Custom data items - precision" or "resources". SO it will be healthy to use only 1 decimal in resource (or use resource as will sum up 1 million units ).

You can create more accurate reports in Tools-Graphic Reports-... but i dont believe it is a good manhour waste in order to get layouts that are visually crap and requires so much attention.

Regards,

Safak
AHMED HASSAN
User offline. Last seen 12 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mr. R. Catalan,

Really gr8ful for ur advice & time.

This option I already know I just want to do the same by using the user-defined fields for many other calculations. I have been able to do so but I am not getting the summary at the top as the system is giving simply the addition of all the values under the perticular head.

I will really appreciate if someone could provide me with the solution.

Thanks

Ahmed
R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Ahmed,

Cost load your schedule. Percent complete and costs (both planned and earned) are automatically shown after cost-loading the schedule.

Best regards,
R. Catalan