Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Showing "Non Working days" on Gantt chart

10 replies [Last post]
Ben Hall
User offline. Last seen 14 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to show Non Working days on the Gantt chart??

My Project Manager wants to see the Christmas break on the chart to show to client why no progress will be over Dec 24th till 5th Jan.

PS: I am using Primavera 5.0

Is this even possible in P 5.0?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Regards
Ben Hall

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 34 min ago. Offline

Probably your client needs a basic explanation on why necking is used.

• Necking is needed to visually illustrate when the segments do not represent the end of the activity as well as when no work is scheduled or was performed. Necking is not only the result of non-work periods but can also be the result of resource leveling when splitting of the activity is allowed. Necking is good to visually disclose different shift assignments and make sure shift model works as expected. Necking can also be the result of actual progress interruptions as well as as when out-of-sequence occurs. I personally find it also a necessity when in progress work is interrupted as to stop the activity clock or calculation of its work duration. It is good practice to show a bar for planned work as well as a neck. Seasoned schedulers find it a necessity. Hiding the neck would be bad scheduling practice.
  • In the following figure you will notice Bricks installation on A begins at second shift because delivery happened during first shift after materials scheduled for this building were depleted.
  •  photo Necking_zpsxvvy9gzy.png  
  • If you expand the timescale you can see how we have an 8 hr shift and a second shift hour shift without need to look at the calendar details. Visual aids help to understand the schedule.
  • Perhaps when necking is due to resource leveling it should be in another color [perhaps Yellow] and when due to out-of-sequence scheduling in another color [perhaps Black].
Thomas Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Is there any way of blanking out the non work time so it only shows when work is being done? I've a client who can't get their head around the idea of the necked bars.

thanks

Thomas Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Is there any way of blanking out the non work time so it only shows when work is being done? I've a client who can't get their head around the idea of the necked bars.

thanks

Javed A
User offline. Last seen 10 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Is it possible to have multiple curtains over a period of time?

Ans: Yes! Just re-do the curtain days and you will have multiple curtains.

Ben Hall
Mark,

That is exactly what I was after, a curtain!!

That you very much - I was proven wrong as I insisted this was not possible in P 5.0!

Thanks again!

Regards
Ben Hall
Ben Hall
Mark,

That is exactly what I was after, a curtain!!

That you very much - I was proven wrong as I insisted this was not possible in P 5.0!

Thanks again!

Regards
Ben Hall
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ben,

You can show the Gray Color in Column in the Gantt Chart Area representing the Non Working Days. To do this, you need to assign the calendar as your default calendar by marking the checkbox in calendar box.

Then try to adjust your Timescale to Month/week so that you can see the gray color.

HTH.

Arnold
Mark M
User offline. Last seen 13 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ben

I think what you a referring to is a curtain. If you right click in the Gantt chart window and select "attachments", "curtain", "Add curtain". You can then detail which dates you want the curtain to show, this can be repeated if required.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Mark
Ben Hall
Hey Arnold,

I have done that thanks, and yes it does show the breaks in the activities.

Though i have been told that Primavera can show a darkened column over the week which is Non-Workings..say this week - wk 43..if this was a holiday week i want to show the wk 43 column on the gannt chart "darkened out or blacked ou" so you can straight away know its a Non-Working week.

Does this make sense?

Is it possible?

Your prompt reply is greatly appreciated!

Thanks & Regards
Ben Hall
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ben,

Go to View --> Bars --> Early & Critical Bar, in Bar Setting under Bar Necking Settings mark the box next to "Calendar nonwork time" when done select OK.

HTH.

Arnold