Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Disaster Planning

13 replies [Last post]
Robert Foedisch
User offline. Last seen 12 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
has any one had any experience with disaster planning? If so, where and how much?

Thanx Tons

Replies

Robert Foedisch
Actually the DR Incident Command System (ICS) was developed by our US Department of Forestry to fight forest fires back in the mid 80’s. It proved so successful that other departments and agencies Like FEMA, which prior to 2000 had a great reputation, adopted it.

To my thinking most disaster planning should take an "All Hazards" approach instead of separating out planning against a specific threat.

Any thoughts?
Joe Hellenbrand
User offline. Last seen 10 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
I developed a baseline schedule for an emergency bridge replacement project but sounds like you are looking for something on a larger scale. a co-worker is a former Army Corp guy and has a lot experience w/ contingency/emergency plannning. anything in particular you’d want to know?
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Robert,

I would assume that the majority of DR Procedures and strategies are similar.. particularly those held by your DoD and our MoD, being as they are products of joint exercises.

With regard to Civil response, I would assume that this follows very similar principals.. what works, works
Robert Foedisch
Gordon, your descriptions are excellent. I am curious if you are aware if the british first responders use the same incident command system as is used here in the U.S.
Gordon Blair
On a more mature note then:

One of the Key aspects to Distaster Recovery Planning is mitigation and Preparation for Multi faceted disasters.

Contrary to the problems faced with Man Made disasters (such as terrorist activity, or Infrastructure Failure) Natural disasters tend to present compounded issues.

For example, an earthquake will not only leave buildings collapsed around people’s heads, but you will also have to deal with mains leaks (Water and Gas), Infrastructure Denial (Power and Comms) and all kinds of ’Secondary’ nasties.

It is these compound issues which will hamper the rescue / immediate recovery effort that makes this Phase so difficult to Plan (there’s no point using thermal imaging cameras to look for bodies when the entire area
- including you boots - is on fire).

The key to managing this Phase of the work is to concentrate on ensuring the emergency services look after themselves first. The Capability to contain and recover is paramount, however selfish that may seem.

Comms and Control has to be established, and the emergency/ rescue services protected to ensure a full / efficient recovery effort. This often leads to some very difficult decisions being made.

Most Governments, indeed most Government departments, have Multi Disciplinary Teams ready to be mobilised in these events and their Disaster Recovery Plans ’should’ be reviewed on a regular basis.

Phases 3+4 (above) should really come in to Play during these reviews, where Lessons Learned from other Incidents or emerging Technologies / Better Practices can be incorporated. Door bolting is always best when Dobbin is still in the Stable.
Robert Foedisch
James,,
Effective Disaster Planning uses an all hazards approach. That allows a organized response to be effective regardless of the source of the disaster. Also disaster planning has for separate and distinct elements.

1) response. This is where people are trying to save peoples lives This is usually done by trained professionals/ trained volunteers.

2) the second phase is recovery. In this phase a determination is made by the Incident Commander that all possible efforts have been made and now they are looking for bodies.

3) Phase three is mitigation. In this phase the hazards that existed as a result of the original disaster are cleared away and the area is made safe. for human activity.

4) the fourth phase is Prevention. This phase is where the city, county/ bourough/ or state enacts stricter building codes.

Most medium size companies have a person or department dedicated to writting disaster plans for their company. In the private sector this is referred to as "business continuity". and generally incorporates the IT department.

I hope this clears up any confusion
Gordon Blair
Hi,

I do disaster Planning.

As part of my bid for World Domination, I have posited that a satellite with a frickin’ big laser beam, aimed at one of the canary Islands will trigger a huge tsunami wreaking devastation along the US eastern seaboard.

You would not believe some of the pre-work that needs to be done for this type of malarkey... geological surveys, R+D for the frickin’ big laser beam, Long lead procurement for the satellite etc etc...

It really is a very interesting field.
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 days ago. Offline
Robert, I am an ex-PM now planner. PM required too many sales/politival skills that I am sorely (but not sadly) lacking.

I’m glad you got the joke though, some folks around here are a little stiff in the neck...

I have not done any work in disaster planning, assuming that you mean (as Charley asked) preplanning for forseen but not certain disasters ahead of time like floods, terror strikes badly maintained bridges collapsing etc etc. All planners, however, will do at least some "senario" planning, taking your basic project plan and analysing "what if" instances. Sounds very interesting, actually, you would have to have an enormous amount of flexibility built in as the unknowns could be vast.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Are you refering to this kind of disaster

I have not done disaster planning of this kind.

I only doing project planning

Or give an example of disaster.

Cheers,
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Robert,

I think there is some confusion here.

What do you mean??

Something like the Khatrina events, or the tsunami event?? or some earthquake, some meteor hitting planning earth similar to hollywood movie deep impact??

These are example of disaster.

Please elaborate.

Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
whats the difference all plans are doomed, james is right what is the point apart from getting paid and going to the pub and drinking yourself stupid!!!!!!!!!!!
Robert Foedisch
James,
you silly,
On a more serious note are you planning or doing project management?
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 days ago. Offline
all my plans are disasters

does that count? :D