Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

No Subject Specified

3 replies [Last post]
David Moses
User offline. Last seen 11 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,

I wonder who is "driving" the planning/scheduling world? In another words, which of the following (or any other) sector influence the planning/scheduling world at most?

* Oil&Gas Sector
* Defense Sector
* Transportation Sector
* Civil Buildings Sector

Best Regards

PS.
Any related literature web link is welcomed...

Replies

Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
My word Charlie,

Something we agree on! There`s a turn-up for the books.

Chris Oggham
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I think the defense sector.

This is because of the nature of the procurement process and the tight schedule to deliver.

Previously, the US of A only use GANTT chart in scheduling.

In the development of Polaris missile and some activities at Du Pont, the idea of PERT/CPM evolved and fused into general planning idea.

Cheers,

Charlie
Nigel Hussey
User offline. Last seen 17 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
I would think that those who have had the most influence up and until now has been the space and defence industries. These industries (in most cases) go out to tender on project management solutions, that meet their specific needs/criteria and not a specific product that is available off the shelf. Another factor is the industry adapting to a software of choice or what everyone else is using and not what is best for their total management solution or sometimes it is just what the client is imposing on you that might just sway the way things are done.

Anyway thats my thoughs.